[SOLVED] 100 degrees CPU temp

Aug 7, 2021
My mums computer has been running horribly slow recently, i checked over it and found out the CPU is running at 100 degrees idle. She said she heard a gurgling type sound the other day, wondering if its maybe the aio is having issues which could be causing the massive change in temps and in turn the lag. how I would figure this out/ fix it?

she has an Intel i7-7700k

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

It's highly possible that the AIO you speak of might've had a cavitation(an air lock/pocket) in the pump block's chamber. Might want to take the side panel off and inspect the AIO. Speaking of AIO, what AIO are you working with and can you state the orientation of the AIO in your build? Often times having the radiators at the front(or rear) of the case with the fittings exiting the top of the rad causes the air to get into the pump housing.

How old is the AIO? Might want to take the AIO out of the system, having the pump at the lowest point and shake both the pump block and radiator until you hear the air bubbles move to the radiator. How long has the issue been with the build? Might want to also...

Lutfij

Titan

It's highly possible that the AIO you speak of might've had a cavitation(an air lock/pocket) in the pump block's chamber. Might want to take the side panel off and inspect the AIO. Speaking of AIO, what AIO are you working with and can you state the orientation of the AIO in your build? Often times having the radiators at the front(or rear) of the case with the fittings exiting the top of the rad causes the air to get into the pump housing.

How old is the AIO? Might want to take the AIO out of the system, having the pump at the lowest point and shake both the pump block and radiator until you hear the air bubbles move to the radiator. How long has the issue been with the build? Might want to also prepare yourself for an RMA if your AIO is yet within warranty period.

Reactions: Deekz47
Solution
the only thing causing temperature spikes that high is improper CPU cooling.
either the pump is bad, the CPU contact is bad, the fans are not spinning, or you have some blockage or air in the tubing.

a CPU is designed to "throttle" down to avoid damaging the chip with extremely high temperatures.
usually when sitting at 100°C for any amount of time leads to system shutdown.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
I had my H100i die a couple years ago. Gurgling sound was what I heard. I opened it up, tried adding water, still gurgled. So I replaced it. CPU was getting awfully hot too, everything was slow, that's how I initially noticed AIO was dying. I have headphones on, couldn't hear it.

Aug 7, 2021
the only thing causing temperature spikes that high is improper CPU cooling.
either the pump is bad, the CPU contact is bad, the fans are not spinning, or you have some blockage or air in the tubing.

a CPU is designed to "throttle" down to avoid damaging the chip with extremely high temperatures.
usually when sitting at 100°C for any amount of time leads to system shutdown.
Its a Preowned PC from a family friend so the cooler could have definitely ran its course, would you recommend just getting a new AIO?

Aug 7, 2021

How old is the AIO? Might want to take the AIO out of the system, having the pump at the lowest point and shake both the pump block and radiator until you hear the air bubbles move to the radiator. How long has the issue been with the build? Might want to also prepare yourself for an RMA if your AIO is yet within warranty period.
Im not 100% sure the exact model but its an NZXT AIO and its standing vertically at the front of the case with the tubes coming from the top, if that makes sense? its also a few years old as its a preowned PC from a family friend

would you recommend just getting a new AIO?
i would first attempt reorienting the radiator and pump to try and move any possible air bubbles through the system.
Lutfij already gave some advice on doing this.

when re-installing the radiator place it in the top of the case with the fans exhausting out through the radiator.
if not possible in this case, get a better one.

Aug 7, 2021
i would first attempt reorienting the radiator and pump to try and move any possible air bubbles through the system.
Lutfij already gave some advice on doing this.

when re-installing the radiator place it in the top of the case with the fans exhausting out through the radiator.
if not possible in this case, get a better one.

Thank you, I also brought some new thermal paste as I don't think its been replaced in a while.

Thanks everyone, didn't actually expect any replies :)

TRENDING THREADS