[SOLVED] 100% disk usage at 0 KB/s read/write ?

prophetmason905

Reputable
Feb 9, 2018
I have 5 partitions in my pc. From Local Disk "C" to "G". My "C" drive is ssd and all other 4 are hdd. The problem is only happening whenever I try to install or download or copy/delete anything in Local Disk "D" and "E" but disk "F" and "G" are working completely fine. I ran chkdsk on not "D" and "E" but on all paritions. It found error on "D" ,"E" and "F" and after some reboot and scans now its saying there is no problem and no further action is needed but the problem is still there. I tried running CrystalDiskInfo but its showing my hdd's health state is good with no problems (ssd is fine too).

I tried running hdtune error test but the program went "not responding" and task manager showed same thing when I try to use D or E partition :-

View: https://imgur.com/a/rQVQESW

F, C and G are working completely fine but as soon as anything related to D or E happens, disk just completely goes on 100% usage with 0 kbps KB/s read/write speed as shown in above task manager screenshot.

I have tried formatting both pratitions. It didn't help. Format went completely fine without any problems though.

I tried running full virus scan but that too completely stops half way through and disk usage goes 100% same as above ?

Specs:- 4gb ram ddr3 hynix, intel quad core q6600, asus gt710, Silicon Power 120gb ssd, Western Digital hdd 500gb, ECS G41T-M7 mohterboard, Corsair VS 450w psu, latest version of windows 10 with all the current updates (May 1, 2021).

Last edited:
Solution
Cannot really say if the HDD is dead per. Hopefully Windows will just "write off" bad sectors and not use those sectors again.

That said, overall the HDD cannot be trusted. Anything you or Windows does may cause further damage or a catastrophic failure that loses everything thing on the drive.

Back everything up to different locations: other known working host drives, NAS drives, the cloud, other network computers. At least 2 full sets. Verify that the backups are recoverable and readable.

Plan it all out beforehand - just simple checklist and start copying (Copy) files from source to location to target location.

Do not use Move. A problem there could result in data ending up in electronic limbo. Gone forever.

If...

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Western Digital hard drive - correct?

Run WD's diagnostic software:

https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=3

However, I recommend that you backup all important data to another physical drive. Ensure that the data is recoverable and readable before doing any thing else.

The drive D: and E: issues could be a warning of more problems to come....

prophetmason905

Reputable
Feb 9, 2018
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Western Digital hard drive - correct?

Run WD's diagnostic software:

https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=3

However, I recommend that you backup all important data to another physical drive. Ensure that the data is recoverable and readable before doing any thing else.

The drive D: and E: issues could be a warning of more problems to come....
Thanks for reply, yes its a western digital hard drive (500 gb).
I have updated the post with all my specs and os info. The only data my hdd contains is games. Everything important is in ssd, so I don't really care what happens to the data inside as long as hdd works fine because I can download games through steam again.

I have started running WD' diagnostic software (downloaded by the link you gave, thank you very much). The first test I ran (quick test) gave errors after few seconds of me starting it.

View: https://imgur.com/a/VMeXQeP

Second test (full scan test) is running and seems like will take a long time so I thought I would at least notify and update this thread with info I got so far.

Ralston18

Titan
Cannot really say if the HDD is dead per. Hopefully Windows will just "write off" bad sectors and not use those sectors again.

That said, overall the HDD cannot be trusted. Anything you or Windows does may cause further damage or a catastrophic failure that loses everything thing on the drive.

Back everything up to different locations: other known working host drives, NAS drives, the cloud, other network computers. At least 2 full sets. Verify that the backups are recoverable and readable.

Plan it all out beforehand - just simple checklist and start copying (Copy) files from source to location to target location.

Do not use Move. A problem there could result in data ending up in electronic limbo. Gone forever.

If there already is lost data that you would like to recover then Recuva or similar tools may prove helpful.

Then remove and replace the HDD. A comparable SDD may be a good choice and improve system performance.

Solution