100% Disk usage, even after restoring to factory default on a new hard drive.

wingedcamel

Reputable
Dec 1, 2015
I have been getting 100% disk usage for the past week or so whenever I open a program. When Idle it is normally at 0% or 1%.
I have tried a ton of different fixes suggested on the internet. These are the ones I remember trying:
-Disabling Superfetch
-Disabling Diagtrack
-Disabling Windows updates
-Defragging hard drive
-Factory Reset PC
-Updating Drivers

Series of events in the past couple days:
Factory reset PC (Didn't work) - Purchased a new hard drive - Cloned the old hard drive onto new one for the OS - New hard drive has the same issues.

If this is relevant, the new hard drive purchased was this seagate.

Extra info:
When I factory reset my pc and I went to my resource monitor, MsMpeng was a resource hog. To my belief this is the Windows Defender Antimalware program. And when I suspended it when my disk was at 100% it immediately went down. However, when I suspended it, a lot of stuff starts breaking. Like my taskbar not working, not able to cycle windows, a lot of windows stop responding, etc.

i5-4460
GTX 970
Windows 10
8GB Ram

Fixed:

If anyone else is struggling with this issue here is what I did to fix it.

Supposedly when you download another anti virus your windows defender is supposed to turn off. In my case it didn't. So I went to "Windows Defender Security Center" by using my search bar and I disabled everything I could. Eventually my pc recognized I had another antivirus and it now says windows defender is disabled.

I also disabled other services such as Superfetch and Diagtrack, so it could be a combination. However I believe the Windows defender was the man culprit in my case.

I appreciate any help as I am getting quite worried I am going to have to spend a lot of money to upgrade an expensive piece of hardware or get an entirely new pc. Thank you.

wingedcamel

Reputable
Dec 1, 2015

Can malware survive a factory reset? Also did a few scans with a couple different programs before I factory reset.

wingedcamel

Reputable
Dec 1, 2015

Unfortunately I have tried everything on there once or several times.

I read somewhere that bad RAM could be an issue. Even though my memory never reaches 100%, I think I may try to upgrade to see if that works out for me.

wingedcamel

Reputable
Dec 1, 2015
If anyone else is struggling with this issue here is what I did to fix it.

Supposedly when you download another anti virus your windows defender is supposed to turn off. In my case it didn't. So I went to "Windows Defender Security Center" by using my search bar and I disabled everything I could. Eventually my pc recognized I had another antivirus and it now says windows defender is disabled.

I also disabled other services such as Superfetch and Diagtrack, so it could be a combination. However I believe the Windows defender was the man culprit in my case.