[SOLVED] 100% disk usage EXCEPT on safe mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 2, 2020
so i recently got a new pc and ive been having a 100% disk usage bug whenever i boot it up or just out of nowhere. I've already tried everything, like disabling superfetch, windows search, antimalware, doing a clean boot but nothing seems to work, except booting up into safe mode.
Can anyone help me find whats causing it?

Specs:
radeon rx 5600 xt
intel i5 9400f
16gb ram
1tb hd idontknowwhatname.

thanks in advance

Solution
it usually lasts for like 10 mins but every now and then it comes back, like for example, its already been 2 hours since i turned on my pc and it just came back

Hmm, it may just be Windows thrashing the HDD - you can have a look and see what exactly is using the drive by opening resource monitor, going to the disk tab and then sorting it on the total column. If the highest use task is just something like 'system' then it's probably Windows indexing files or something similar

Edit: You can also check the performance you are getting using CrystalDiskMark (link: https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskmark/ ) That is a free disk benchmark tool. HDD drives should be getting between 100 and 200 mb/s in the...
so i recently got a new pc and ive been having a 100% disk usage bug whenever i boot it up or just out of nowhere. I've already tried everything, like disabling superfetch, windows search, antimalware, doing a clean boot but nothing seems to work, except booting up into safe mode.
Can anyone help me find whats causing it?

Specs:
radeon rx 5600 xt
intel i5 9400f
16gb ram
1tb hd idontknowwhatname.

thanks in advance

How long does the 100% disk usage last? Windows tends to cache files, perform updates and other things when the machine first boots - it could be an innocent Windows task that is using the disk flat out. If you leave it a few hours it might finish whatever it is doing and go back to normal?

Also, is this a brand new HDD or an old one you have reused? HDD is pretty slow for Windows 10 (assuming you are on 10) so it will likely jump to 100% usage fairly often on startup anyway. Switching windows over to a sata or even better an NVME ssd drive would make loading timers and general performance much better...

Jul 2, 2020
How long does the 100% disk usage last? Windows tends to cache files, perform updates and other things when the machine first boots - it could be an innocent Windows task that is using the disk flat out. If you leave it a few hours it might finish whatever it is doing and go back to normal?

Also, is this a brand new HDD or an old one you have reused? HDD is pretty slow for Windows 10 (assuming you are on 10) so it will likely jump to 100% usage fairly often on startup anyway. Switching windows over to a sata or even better an NVME ssd drive would make loading timers and general performance much better...

it usually lasts for like 10 mins but every now and then it comes back, like for example, its already been 2 hours since i turned on my pc and it just came back

Hmm, it may just be Windows thrashing the HDD - you can have a look and see what exactly is using the drive by opening resource monitor, going to the disk tab and then sorting it on the total column. If the highest use task is just something like 'system' then it's probably Windows indexing files or something similar

Edit: You can also check the performance you are getting using CrystalDiskMark (link: https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskmark/ ) That is a free disk benchmark tool. HDD drives should be getting between 100 and 200 mb/s in the sequential tests and a lot less in the random tests (probably more like 1 to 2 mb/ sec).

Last edited:
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.