[SOLVED] 100% Disk Usage on Dell Inspirion Laptop

b00tsnspurs

Commendable
Aug 14, 2017
Hello there.

I have been having this issue for over a year now. I got my laptop 2 or so years ago and it worked great up until March of last year. It started booting up with 100 percent disk usage and sitting at 100.

I originally bought this laptop for gaming and have only used it to game. I did not use it much at all, so it is still fairly new. (Maybe 30 or so hours of gaming on it). Otherwise I used my desktop.

I tried multiple things last year to fix it, and eventually got fed up and left it be. Now I need the laptop to replace another computer, so I need it working.

I watched official Dell support videos on this issue, and nothing in the video helped me. I disabled SuperFetch, Windows Search, etc. I did a hard drive scan with support assist. I finally decided to reset the computer to factory settings and removing all my files. The issue is still there.

Right now the disk usage is sitting at 100% while I am just typing this up. No other programs are open or installed since I did the factory reset. I again disabled SuperFetch and Windows Search, still not helping at all.

I have screenshots of my System info and my resource monitor. Any help would be appreciated.

Fnri7ts.png

W2jHrbl.png

5fr7zOz.png

xw5WXoW.png

YJYGC2s.png

Solution
Have either of you tried doing a completely clean reinstall (options a & b are downloadable PDF files)?:

a) Completely Clean Win10 (Re)install Using MCT to Download Win10 ISO File

b) Completely Clean Win10 (Re)install Using MCT to Create a Bootable USB Drive

c) How to do a CLEAN Installation of Windows 10 (Tom’s Hardware Forums, with screen shots)

You get a cleaner Windows 10 than using factory recovery since all the "bloatware" that generally comes with any machine these days is notably absent.

b00tsnspurs

Commendable
Aug 14, 2017
look like is some dell tools to update driver/app.
could disable/uninstall it, and just do it yourselves when you want to

I will definitely try that.

I also made this post on Dell's forums, and I was told there is no fix. That this will be the case until I switch to an SSD. And they recommended one to me.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Have either of you tried doing a completely clean reinstall (options a & b are downloadable PDF files)?:

c) How to do a CLEAN Installation of Windows 10 (Tom’s Hardware Forums, with screen shots)

You get a cleaner Windows 10 than using factory recovery since all the "bloatware" that generally comes with any machine these days is notably absent.

Reactions: b00tsnspurs
Solution

b00tsnspurs

Commendable
Aug 14, 2017

I will give this a shot before giving up completely. Thank you!