[SOLVED] 100% disk usage = read/write... Is my ssd dying?

Oct 21, 2019
Intel 240gb SSD (SSDSC2BW240A4)
Screenshot of crystal disk info(I have a habit of having task manager open too): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AqHGtcgCxJAg4gKoYPM8bZVlJOgQjYrI

So I've started to experience events where my computer crashes. What will happen is that my ssd will shoot up to 100% disk usage but show 0 read/write followed by a critical process died bsod. After this have happened my drive wont be detected by my motherboard for a while. I have used various tools that all say my drive is 100% healthy except for ubuntus built in tool which says there are 6 bad sectors. I've tried upgrading its firmware but the one it came with is the newest one available. I've used the chkdsk /f /r command from a recovery usb and ended up with an unspecified error during stage 5 (6e74667363686b2e 1390) and then tried chkdsk /r without errors. The chkdsk command also lists that there is no data located in any bad sectors. Sfc scannow found no errors with windows files. I've checked that all cables are nice and snug in their connectors and I've turned off sysmain, prefetch, cortana and windows search through regedit and services without any change in drive behaviour. I just took the drive apart to notice a fatty liquid on and around around a chip with a thermal pad (I believe this could be the memory controller) and dried it off with isopropyl alcohol... I did this 20min ago but I haven't experienced any crashes so far... although I don't believe it could be the cause of the problem. Posted this to the techsupport on reddit a while back and no one saw the thread (I am hoping it gets noticed here).

Oct 21, 2019
The ssd crashed soon after I posted about this btw.

Doubt it's related to any other part since I have another identical drive (which is the same age) along with a power switch which I use to boot from specific drives. I tried changing from one power output to another for the SSD I'm having problems with so it's not that. I also tried swapping sata ports and tried booting with the hdd disconnected too in case it was anything with that (the hdd is new and has 0 bad sectors).

Here are my specs and hard drives for that specific boot .

CPU: 8770K (stock speeds)
Mobo: asrock z370 extreme4 (latest bios firmware)
Ram: 32GB (4x8GB) HyperX DDR4 2133MHz (stock speeds)
GPU: Evga GTX 1080 sc (stock speeds)
Boot drive: Intel 240gb SSD (SSDSC2BW240A4)
Mass storage drive: WD Blue 2TB HDD 5400rpm
PSU: Corsair RM750x 750w

you could try running off a pair of RAM sticks to test for stability for a few days, then check the other pair individually....

Sometimes RAM voltage needs a slight tweak upwards when running 4 sticks... (Was this RAM kit an actual 4x8 GB kit, or, a likely to be troublesome mixing of a pair of 2x8 GB kits?)

Oct 21, 2019
you could try running off a pair of RAM sticks to test for stability for a few days, then check the other pair individually....

Sometimes RAM voltage needs a slight tweak upwards when running 4 sticks... (Was this RAM kit an actual 4x8 GB kit, or, a likely to be troublesome mixing of a pair of 2x8 GB kits?)

It's two 2x8Gb kits (same models which were bought at the same time so no mixing involved there). This problem is exclusive to when I'm booting from the drive I've written about above and I don't encounter this when booting from any of the other ones I have connected to the power switch (currently booted from the other one which is the Identical one). Is the amount of total host writes that the screenshot is showing something that is close to the limit of what a mlc type ssd could handle? The SSD was bought somewhere around 2013-2014 and has counted to seven months (5229hrs) in total time of being powered on. Are any of these values abnormal or are there any other values that are abnormal in the screenshot?

Oct 21, 2019
It was simply the ssd that caused the problem... Strange though how intel's software didn't pick up any errors. I bought a new ssd and managed to clone the data without any data loss.

TRENDING THREADS