Question 100% Disk Usage/ Screen goes crazy and clicks all over

JVM1120

Honorable
Aug 12, 2016
I have an HP Envy M6 laptop I have been having a few problems with. I noticed in the task manager the disk always jumps to 100% and the computer locks up on me. I factory reset my laptop and added more ram thinking that would help it. I added 16 GB ram from Crucial. Webpages and programs load faster but the disc keeps jumping to 100% usage in the task manager. I ran multiple virus scans, hardware and component scans, tested the hard drive, updated windows, and nothing gave errors or found anything.

The other problem I'm having is that every once in a while my screen goes crazy and starts closing windows and reopening them, clicking all over. It's like the laptop has a mind of its own sometimes. I have to restart the computer to get it to stop. I tried a different mouse and it still does it. I have a touchscreen on this laptop so I'm not sure if that could be causing the issue.

HP ENVY M6 ( m6-n113dx)
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
AMD FX-7500 Radeon 2.10 ghz
16.00 GB Ram

boju

Titan
Ambassador
That kind of behaviour does sound like you're still infected and antivirus is not able to detect.

Try virus scanning and Malwarebytes in safemode. No guarantee though.

If it still happens do a fresh install not a factory reset. https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Easy to do and if you have a go, before you do, find your manufacturer drivers for your laptop from their website and download the lan/wireless driver in case Win10 doesn't install those and you're unable to connect to the internet.

JVM1120

Honorable
Aug 12, 2016
That kind of behaviour does sound like you're still infected and antivirus is not able to detect.

Try virus scanning and Malwarebytes in safemode. No guarantee though.

If it still happens do a fresh install not a factory reset. https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Easy to do and if you have a go, before you do, find your manufacturer drivers for your laptop from their website and download the lan/wireless driver in case Win10 doesn't install those and you're unable to connect to the internet.

I scanned in safe mode with Norton Antivirus and Malwarebytes. It came back clean. I'm doing a fresh install now. I have a recovery partition that's about 30.7 gb, should I delete that or keep it ?

Jul 17, 2019
I have an HP Envy M6 laptop I have been having a few problems with. I noticed in the task manager the disk always jumps to 100% and the computer locks up on me. I factory reset my laptop and added more ram thinking that would help it. I added 16 GB ram from Crucial. Webpages and programs load faster but the disc keeps jumping to 100% usage in the task manager. I ran multiple virus scans, hardware and component scans, tested the hard drive, updated windows, and nothing gave errors or found anything.

The other problem I'm having is that every once in a while my screen goes crazy and starts closing windows and reopening them, clicking all over. It's like the laptop has a mind of its own sometimes. I have to restart the computer to get it to stop. I tried a different mouse and it still does it. I have a touchscreen on this laptop so I'm not sure if that could be causing the issue.

HP ENVY M6 ( m6-n113dx)
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
AMD FX-7500 Radeon 2.10 ghz
16.00 GB Ram

Your problem occurs because of partition division. it can also be because it only has 1 hdd or ssd. if in a laptop installed 2 storage or more problems will not occur again this happened because of the installation of the os and storage in 1 hardware.

JVM1120

Honorable
Aug 12, 2016
Your problem occurs because of partition division. it can also be because it only has 1 hdd or ssd. if in a laptop installed 2 storage or more problems will not occur again this happened because of the installation of the os and storage in 1 hardware.

Interesting. My laptop only has 1 hdd installed.

JVM1120

Honorable
Aug 12, 2016
Yeah delete it. Infection could of made it's way there.

I deleted it and finished installing Windows 10. It found all the drivers needed automatically with no problems. Everything is loaded back on the laptop and its running 100x better. The laptop hasn't hit 100% disc usage yet and the screen stopped going crazy. Thank You for your help. The guide you provided helped a lot.

Reactions: boju