100% Disk usage - Slow PC

Saorthoil

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017
So I consider myself a tech savvy person but cannot figure this out. For the last year or so my PC has run horribly slow. I've known it's been a "HD" problem for a while now but can't seem to come to a solution. In short my PC in itself runs fast. Nothing wrong with the CPU and games play great. It's opening applications that slow me down. Simple applications like chrome will run me up to 100% disk usage. The PC takes like 10 minutes to become usable after boot. The funny thing is that While I've ruled out this being a software issue as laid out below. I've never seen this problem before until windows 8 came out. Since then the "100%" disk usage issue has shown up on many computers I've worked on. I remember back in the day simply reinstalling windows xp or 7 would get it running like new. Meanwhile simply resetting these PCs nowadays seems to do nothing.. Part of me is thinking MS purposefully crippled older hardware with an update or something, so you have to get a new PC... But That's just my personal conspiracy.

Steps I've taken.
1. Changing the Hard drive. At least 4 times. So it's clearly not the drive itself. Unless all of my harddrives are magically failing all at once. I know Hillary has been nowhere near my setup. Besides. When the problem first started I purchased an SSD but then sent it back as I thought it was defective.

2. Reinstalling Windows. 7/8/8.1/10, ect. So it's not a software issue. I've also tried installing windows with AHCI disabled and set to legacy for the hell of it. Which makes no difference

3. Disabling superfetch in the newer windows OS's and Telling MS security essentials to ignore itself when scanning.

I just can't figure it out. I'm at the point now where I have to assume it's hardware related so I'm left with two assumptions.

1. The board is malfunctioning thus throttling the throughput from the HD

2. The memory (of which I have more than enough) is failing thus causing the same problem.

My only other guess is something in my BIOS settings got screwed up, or my controller drivers aren't working for whatever reason.

Can anyone offer me any input? Because the struggle is horrible for me right now.

Colif

Win 11 Master
What are specs of the PC?
Its possible the problem is you need to get the latest drivers for chipset and SATA
i doubt its ram, that isn't going to cause hdd usage unless you had a small amount.

can you look in task manager/performance tab & down bottom of window, click Open resource monitor
look in the Disk activity window and by clicking on headers, sort by read or write and then open the File column up so you can read the paths, see what is showing as highest use. Attach a screen shot here (upload it to image sharing site & share link here)

A few suggestions: https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/fix-100-disk-usage-in-task-manager-improve-pc-performance-on-windows-10/ (Don't download anything from here, just use advice)

Saorthoil

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017

Yeah, I already installed the chipset drivers.

I also tried everything on that list. As for seeing what processes are using system resources, it's a different one everytime. It's not that one or two processes are hogging access to the drive. As in the link the person had one process uning 30mbs a second. It's that my drive tops out at 1-5 mbs a second which is 100% of the disk usage. It's more like the speed of my drive is being throttled rather than actually being 100% used up.

Edit
------------
I opened a few chrome tabs to show you the results. As you can see it's well over half way used at only 500 or so kbs
Screenshot_1.png

Colif

Win 11 Master
what are the specs of the PC? (I asked this last time)
it might be one of the drivers on your motherboard, could be a memory leak.

Download Process explorer and run it as admin (it comes from Microsoft so its safe)

the default view is tree structure meaning like your task manager screen, it will show what processes are under each service, but unlike the other one, it shows the memory usage of each part so you can see what is eating your hdd

Private bytes = actual ram usage
Working set = Ram + page file usage << this could be what you need to look at

This page shows what all the colours and headings mean, link at bottom of it shows how to use it to find problems. You can right click headers and run an av scan from within the program.

if you right click the header row, you can add columns. I would look on the Process I/O tab and add Reads & Writes. You can move columns around so they easier to see.

Saorthoil

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017

Sorry missed that. It's

CPU - AMD FX 6300
GPU - GTX 660
Memory - 8G Corsair Vengance
PSU - 600w CX600 Corsair Bronze
HD - 500g WD blue(current main), 500g WD green, 3tb Seagate, 1tb, Seagate
MOBO - msi g46 970a

I'll Check your other links out in a few.

Also I use lightshot because it's just simple to take screenshots of only the area I want without the need to edit it in another application.

TRENDING THREADS