100% Disk Usage very frequent.

beavers

Reputable
Jul 11, 2016
Hey there, so for as long as I can remember I've always had problems with disk usage. Whenever I open programs my disk usage spikes to 100%, sometimes while I play games it'll sometimes spike to 100% as well as times where I'm not doing anything and just sitting on desktop and it'll spike to 100%. I've had this PC since 2015, upgraded some parts and most recently got a new HDD. I mainly use this PC for gaming and when It's not at 100% disk usage it runs fine.

So I guess what I'm asking is if 100% disk usage is normal when opening programs like games, chrome or documents. Is 100% disk usage a concern no matter what, and what causes it to sometimes happen when playing games.

GPU: GTX 970 SC, no overclock.
CPU: Intel Core i5 6600k, overclocked to 4.2ghz
Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING
RAM: Corsair 16GB DDR4 2400MHz
PSU: EVGA 650 GQ, 80+ GOLD 650W,
Operating System & Version: Windows 10 64bit, clean install
HDD: Seagate 2TB. (Previously 1TB Toshiba)

Solution
So, to be clear, ...when you access your disk,.... it shows usage? (Slow spinning drives causing excruciating wait times are a fact of life...; if you want speed, you need an SSD for the OS, and the applications in question. SSD's can read data several times faster than spinning hard drives, typically 3-4 times as much)

Just to double check your spinning hard drive's health, run a GSmartControl /short test, and, a Crystal DIsk Mark 32k Sequential, 1 pass only, and see what values (MB/Sec reads/wites) you are getting...
May 1, 2018
It happening to me too, I have 2 partitions on my HDD and one of these is nearly full, so it spikes to 100% and stays that way for some time, perhaps it has something to do with the page file, other times it does not, a restart helps most of the times.

So, to be clear, ...when you access your disk,.... it shows usage? (Slow spinning drives causing excruciating wait times are a fact of life...; if you want speed, you need an SSD for the OS, and the applications in question. SSD's can read data several times faster than spinning hard drives, typically 3-4 times as much)

Just to double check your spinning hard drive's health, run a GSmartControl /short test, and, a Crystal DIsk Mark 32k Sequential, 1 pass only, and see what values (MB/Sec reads/wites) you are getting...

Solution

TRENDING THREADS