100% disk usage.

dor3y

Honorable
Jan 31, 2014
I seem to have an issue with my hard disk reading 100% usage. I have done some research and disabled a bunch of things (super fetch, windows search.....etc) and it seems to work but if my pc is on for any length of time eventually it will start to read 100% disk usage again, and I can't figure out why. Any help?

Muffinman124

Commendable
Oct 18, 2016
did you just updated? i had the same problem. i assume its mostly because of the service hosts. i heard it has something to do with windows defender (or another firewall pragramm). after i updated mc afee the disk reading usage went down to 1-5%. Windows 10 Version 1607: Servicing Stack Update KB3199209 if you wondering it didnt need a restart so check your update log. if you didnt update i cannot help im probably the most unqualified guy here but trying to help ;)

dor3y

Honorable
Jan 31, 2014
Even under very minimal load it is sitting at 100% . When I check performance of the drive it reads with like a 2200 ms response time at 0 kb/s. Right now I am running data lifeguard to check the drive for errors.

Next time disk usage hits 100%, try closing Chrome, see if usage drops. If it doesn't, then try closing malwarebytes. Process of elimination. If it's system, you'll have to start digging down to figure out what it's doing, if you expand Resource Monitor out you can see which files are writing to the disk under Disk Activity.

dor3y

Honorable
Jan 31, 2014
Chrome nor malwarebytes are causing it. As of right now I have swapped SATA cables thinking maybe my other one was bad rebooted, and it was at 100% for a few mins as of writing this it is at ~5%.

I've seen this problem about half a dozen times in the last month. And it was a different cause every time. One was the antivirus software stuck running a scan that wouldn't finish. Another wasn't set to AHCI. One was Windows Update spinning the hamster wheel. And then there was a failing drive. Anyway, it could be a lot of things, so it can take a while to diagnose.

TRENDING THREADS