Question 100% Disk Usage

Jun 7, 2019
Hello, my computer that is a little over 3 years old is suddenly becoming unusable, for the past few months i keep getting 100% usage on disk in task manager the whole time i have my computer on, i do not know if the problem is RAM, HD or CPU
Trying to find out the problem so i can fix or buy whatever is going bad i tried defragging my HD and it gave me this error
5 Reallocated Sectors Count 2.005 1 1 5 0x0000000007D5

I would like to know if it is fixable.
Or if i have to purchase a new HD, the hd works fine besides the 100% disk and this error, it's a 1tb Toshiba.

Any help is much apreciated.

Jun 7, 2019
HD are nasty compared to SSD's, i'd recommend grabbing an SSD or M.2 SSD if your computer supports it because its way faster PERIOD
see what I did there?

I would love to get an SSD,
But it seems that they are so expensive atleast in brazil.
A 240gb SSD is the price of a 2 or a cheap 3tb HD here.

PS. i ran Windows Memory Diagnostic ram is not the issue,
I am tryint to defrag my HD But it is taking ages with the slow pc, i only have 250GB of files in HD it shouldnt be taking this long

My pc specs are I5, GTX 950, 1tb HD, 8GB Ram
It's not the best pc by today's standarts, but it was an excellent pc for the time i bought it.

Yeldur

Honorable
Jan 28, 2017
Hello, my computer that is a little over 3 years old is suddenly becoming unusable, for the past few months i keep getting 100% usage on disk in task manager the whole time i have my computer on, i do not know if the problem is RAM, HD or CPU
Trying to find out the problem so i can fix or buy whatever is going bad i tried defragging my HD and it gave me this error
5 Reallocated Sectors Count 2.005 1 1 5 0x0000000007D5

I would like to know if it is fixable.
Or if i have to purchase a new HD, the hd works fine besides the 100% disk and this error, it's a 1tb Toshiba.

Any help is much apreciated.

A re-allocated sector is usually indicative of a dying harddrive and thus bad sectors, however a reallocated sector means that you have had bad blocks in the past; these are bad blocks that have been swapped with reserve sectors and are thus no longer an issue to your machine because they are invisible.

You can get a basic overview of how your harddrive is doing by opening command prompt and typing the following:

wmic diskdrive get status

You should see a value of "OK" listed for each drive on your system, however others can be listed as "Unknown", "Caution" and "Bad" which indicates there may be a problem with your drive or problems with it acquiring the relevant information.

Another way to determine faults with a drive is to look amongst your event logs for bad blocks, you can do this by doing the following:

1. Open up the Windows taskbar and type the following: "Event viewer"
  2. Click the dropdown that says "Windows logs"
  3. Click on "System"
  4. Click on "Filter current log"
  5. Inside the section where it says <All Event IDs> type the event ID "7"
  6. This will filter down your system logs and search for the event ID 7 (bad blocks)
  7. If you see quite a lot of these popping up then it is usually indicative of a Hard Drive Failing, it's generally a good idea to back up your harddrive at this stage and stop using it.

You can run a disk check via Command Prompt to see if this will resolve the issues with the disk, it doesn't always work however if you're getting bad blocks it's worthwhile to attempt this before anything.

Open up command prompt and on the command line type the following:

chkdsk /f /r /x

This will check the disk for bad blocks or errors it finds and fixes them, it will also dismount the drive before the process begins, this allows the repairs and checks to be done without locks on the drive, this is only a temporary process and it will remount the drive once finished. If it can't dismount the drive however you are able to set it to do it when the machine is rebooted next (You should reboot immediately to do this however)

Hopefully this answers and helps you with your query, if you have any questions feel free to respond and let me know.

Yeldur

Honorable
Jan 28, 2017
HD are nasty compared to SSD's, i'd recommend grabbing an SSD or M.2 SSD if your computer supports it because its way faster PERIOD
see what I did there?
There's a reason HDD's are still around and it's because they're still very useful, SSD's are great, yes, but they are expensive. The easiest way to get on the SSD train without spending all the money is to by an SSHD (Hybrid Drive) - The only negative of having an SSHD is that you cannot control what the solid state element of the drive does, however, it will usually be used for storing your OS if anything.

if your drive is failing (reallocated sectors and super-sluggish access are never a good start), then doing full surface scanstesting might very well accelerate total failure...(assuming you have no malware dragging the system down)

Get any needed data/files moved/copied off of it while you can, then you can tinker with seeing if assorted checkdisk/surface cans/reformats actually accomplish anything..

Jun 11, 2019
I had the same problem and spent many hours trying loads of different recommended fixes but nothing worked. Then I found at manufacture my 1tb hdd had been partitioned to create a C drive for the OS and a D drive for storage, in other words a virtual second drive with only one physical HDD. 165gb used on C and nothing on the D drive. Windows 7 had the free upgrade to windows 10. The fix that worked immediately was to go to disk management from start menu, delete D drive and expand C drive to max. Then open command prompt as administrator and typed in chkdsk /r /f and hit enter. Then restarted pc and let it do the rest. Did it for me after 3 days of trying fixes. I now have one 1tb C drive. no more 100% disk usage, no more freezing or unresponsive windows 10, chrome or edge. Boot up fine now and working best it has ever done. This will not work on a machine with 2 physical drives.

Yeldur

Honorable
Jan 28, 2017
if your drive is failing (reallocated sectors and super-sluggish access are never a good start), then doing full surface scanstesting might very well accelerate total failure...(assuming you have no malware dragging the system down)

Get any needed data/files moved/copied off of it while you can, then you can tinker with seeing if assorted checkdisk/surface cans/reformats actually accomplish anything..
Very fair point actually, backing up the data should always be prioritised before fault checking.