Question 100% Disk usage

Jun 27, 2019
Hello, I would like to ask if its normal to have 100% disk usage when I turn on my computer. It goes back to 1 - 7% like 20 secs after starting everything. Then when I use my browser or something else it sometimes goes to 20%. But when I turn on any game it goes back to 100%. I tried almost everything to solve it. I turned of Windows search, updated my windows, rewatched my computer with Anti virus. But its still the same. I am asking because I dont want to put it in service and wait 30 or 90 day to solve it when summer is here. So if someone knows what to do or if its normal I would be very thankful, and sorry for my English I am not a native speaker.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Yes it is normal, because it is transferring as much data as it can handle usually on OS startup and large application startup as information transfers from the Disk to the RAM.
If it is prolonged, then it could potentially indicate a problem with the disk, or potential malware for example.
Do you have any actual problems from the disk usage?

Jun 27, 2019
Yes it is normal, because it is transferring as much data as it can handle usually on OS startup and large application startup as information transfers from the Disk to the RAM.
If it is prolonged, then it could potentially indicate a problem with the disk, or potential malware for example.
Do you have any actual problems from the disk usage?
Thanks so much for such a quick answer. I think my computer runs as usual but when I play certain games it starts to drop my frame rate. I dont know how to explain it like human so I try it in my best way. A 3 months ago I played Dead by Daylight on Ultra normal 60+ FPS. But now when I start the game it goes to 20 or less then it goes back to normal but when I move more frequently (faster or I chase someone) It drops and is ''laggy'' again

Jun 27, 2019
What are your other specs including PSU make and model?
I would use MSI Afterburner to monitor GPU, CPU, RAM, and HDD % usage whilst in game ( you can make a game overlay ) and also to monitor GPU and CPU core temperatures.
So I have. GTX 1050 Ti, Intel core i5-8400, 8 GB RAM. This is my Disk when i am on my browser View: https://imgur.com/a/euTBvpv
. This when I start the game View: https://imgur.com/a/6YuVC3j
. And this in Menu of the game View: https://imgur.com/a/JyuWowU

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
As i said, task manager doesn't give the clearest idea, so MSI Afterburner would give better details.

The SSD upgrade would certainly help load times, but by the looks of those images it is your GPU that is bottlenecking on that particular application (MSI Afterburner will give better detail as to when this occurs).

Jun 27, 2019
Best solution for this would be a 120gb ssd on which you should install OS, this would leviate most of the load from the hdd and you will not have frame drops anymore.
So What you say I only need to buy SSD to solve this problem? If so could you recomend me any. I am sorry that I am asking so stupidly but I am about computers as much as my grandma and I only use it for games, so I just want to be sure.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
So What you say I only need to buy SSD to solve this problem? If so could you recomend me any. I am sorry that I am asking so stupidly but I am about computers as much as my grandma and I only use it for games, so I just want to be sure.
It will solve the loading problem. And some points in game when more data has to be loaded. But based on the image on you have shown, the GPU could well be the issue too.
But an SSD will yield overall performance improvements (majorly OS startup and game load times).

So yes it should help solve your initial post -but may not necessarily solve in game lag.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Well not sure exactly how you've set it up - and I can't see disk usage on there.
But your GPU usage is also pretty high - as for CPU, you'll want to view individual cores.

At the basis of it - if you don't have an SSD already (see SkyNetRising's comment above) then an SSD will drastically improve startup times and game start up, and may help a bit in more in games where more loading has to be done in game (Open world games for example). But it would also look like your GPU could well be limiting in these particular games.

Jun 27, 2019
Well not sure exactly how you've set it up - and I can't see disk usage on there.
But your GPU usage is also pretty high - as for CPU, you'll want to view individual cores.

At the basis of it - if you don't have an SSD already (see SkyNetRising's comment above) then an SSD will drastically improve startup times and game start up, and may help a bit in more in games where more loading has to be done in game (Open world games for example). But it would also look like your GPU could well be limiting in these particular games.
View: https://imgur.com/a/7LfE4Rn
so it looks like I have only SSD. I looked at the Defragmenter window and it only shows HDD split in half

D

Deleted member 14196

make sure to over provision the new SSD once Windows Installer is done with it. you generally want to leave some space unallocated, 10-15% of the drive. This is so that TRIM can properly optimize the drive over it's lifetime, so your performance doesn't go into the crapper when you fill up the drive with data.

I would get at least a 500GB SSD, or 1TB if you can afford it, run everything off it if you can

it will give your old hardware a new lease on life

Jun 27, 2019
make sure to over provision the new SSD once Windows Installer is done with it. you generally want to leave some space unallocated, 10-15% of the drive. This is so that TRIM can properly optimize the drive over it's lifetime, so your performance doesn't go into the crapper when you fill up the drive with data.

I would get at least a 500GB SSD, or 1TB if you can afford it, run everything off it if you can

it will give your old hardware a new lease on life
Unfortunately I can aford only 250GB but I hope it will be enough for my OS

D

Deleted member 14196

it will be, but remember, windows updates take a lot of space, so after an update, if everything is working good, you will need to clean up the drive and optionally elect to blast the update files. that will keep your disk lean and clean, and don't put more than a couple games on it at a time

Jun 27, 2019
it will be, but remember, windows updates take a lot of space, so after an update, if everything is working good, you will need to clean up the drive and optionally elect to blast the update files. that will keep your disk lean and clean, and don't put more than a couple games on it at a time
I will have my OS on 250GB SSD and games on 1T HDD

D

Deleted member 14196

well, you could probably afford to run at least your favorite game you are fiending on on the SSD, it's so nice. I love to play the old THEIF: THE DARK PROJECT on my puny A6 powered notebook and on SSD, it loads instantly and BAM, in the game and working smooth