[SOLVED] 100% disk usage

Wolfman63421

Honorable
Jul 10, 2016
So for the past couple years my pc has been having trouble with HDD 1. When I open up programs or applications the disk usage will spike to 100% which should be fine for a HDD the problem is that it stays there either for a couple seconds or a few minutes, sometimes hours. I have tried many of the recommended tips such as disabling super fetch and some others I cannot remember. I thought maybe my hard drive was old and dying so I bought and replaced it with a new one and that didn't solve my issue to my dismay. I have been dealing with it by just letting it go but as time goes on I'm getting more and more annoyed by the situation as it can and will usually render my entire pc useless for a while. The disk will also spike to 100% when idle so if I leave for a bit and come back my pc is very very slow for a while until the disk goes back to normal. For some reason YouTube doesn't allow this but if say i leave with my headset (wireless) and listen to Spotify the disk can shoot up and stop Spotify from playing and causes a lot of issues. Any help and i would be grateful as I really have no idea what to do to solve this problem

Solution
Get a small 240GB SSD. Use it. Install your OS on it. Keep all your larger files like movies, TV shows and game installers etc on your old HDD.

Look in the rear-view mirror as all your HDD-related problems - such as long-load times and the clattering of HDD heads - disappear behind you.
D

Deleted member 362816

I assume this is a spinning drive. Sounds like it is tired and old. Get a ssd. its the way to go for your os in 2021 and they are cheap.

Wolfman63421

Honorable
Jul 10, 2016
I assume this is a spinning drive. Sounds like it is tired and old. Get a ssd. its the way to go for your os in 2021 and they are cheap.
Thats what i thought so i then bought a new one, a barracuda 2 tb one but the problem still persisted. and yes they are cheaper than they used to be but i am a university student who cant afford an ssd unless its a small 240 gb ssd

Wolfman63421

Honorable
Jul 10, 2016
What model HDD?
Why don't you upgrade to SSD ?
Would love to but as a uni student cant afford a high storage ssd.
The harddrive i bought was from amazon
"Seagate BarraCuda 2TB Internal Hard Drive HDD – 3.5 Inch SATA 6Gb/s 7200 RPM 256MB Cache 3.5-Inch – Amazon Exclusive - Frustration Free Packaging (ST2000DMZ08)"
I cant remember what the other one was that i replaced with this one but this is my current one. But i dont know if its a hardware issue since it happened on my old one which i replaced

D

Deleted member 362816

Thats what i thought so i then bought a new one, a barracuda 2 tb one but the problem still persisted. and yes they are cheaper than they used to be but i am a university student who cant afford an ssd unless its a small 240 gb ssd

buy a small 240 and run your OS on it. Use the large drive for storage. This will help your situation.

D

Deleted member 14196

You would need a fast hard drive at least and even those are slow compared to an SSD. Don’t get a small SSD get at least one terabyte MX 500 from crucial. They are not expensive and light years faster than any of the fastest hard drives

It will give your PC a new lease on life

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Get a small 240GB SSD. Use it. Install your OS on it. Keep all your larger files like movies, TV shows and game installers etc on your old HDD.

Look in the rear-view mirror as all your HDD-related problems - such as long-load times and the clattering of HDD heads - disappear behind you.

Solution