Question 100% Drive usage when attempting to download

BunnyB

Honorable
Jul 6, 2013
Hello, like my title says when I attempt download, specifically when I attempt download on my external F: HDD it goes to 100%. I attempted downloading through my E: HDD, without any problem and when I to download through origin with F: HDD it worked fine. Ive had both of my HDD drivers for a couple of years, so they are turning old, this is a fresh problem that started yesterday.

Anyone has any idea what I can do that I haven't tried?

My specifications -
CPU:
Intel Core i7-4770K CPU 3.50GHz
RAM: 16 GB
Windows 10: 64-bit
HDD f: Seagate BUP Slim BK SCSI Disk Device, 2tb with 100 GB avaible space.

What I have attempted so far -
I have run diagnostics by using the commands
chkdsk /r f:
chkdsk /f f:
Aswell as the firmware SeaTools for Windows, ive done basic tests and i'm currently doing a long one.
I ran a malware search with the freshly installed program TotalAV, I did it during one of hte chkdsk commands though, so I will do it again in safemode once the current diagnostic is done.
I have confirmed that is indeed steam that does this by going through task manager and windows' resource monitor.
Restarted my computer and safely unplugged, replugged the external HDD.
Searched around on the internett without finding a solution.
I checked for updates to the HDD.
Tested installing different games on steam without any difference in the results.
I put the limit bandwidth on steam from unlimited to 3 MB/s, same results.
I cleared download cache on steam.
I repaired library folder (HDD F: ) through steam.
I defragged HDD F:
Reinstalled steam.

Edit: I just attempted to download through origin again, I noticed my f: hdd wasn't constantly at 100% like steam, but it was still going from 60% to 100% frequently, in comparison my E: drive was at 1%.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
For the sake of your external drives longevity, I'd advise you to not download onto an external device. You'll see it's also much faster downloading to your local drive and the migrating data after you've finished downloading.

Defragmenting anything apparently reduces the lifespan of your drive.

Might it be possible to list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis: