100 mbit router causes problems for 1 gigabit connection.

BrightDP

Reputable
Aug 5, 2014
Hello,

I have 1 gigabit connetion and only 100mbit router, and when I run this set up, I get packet loss quite often, but when I connect wire directly to my PC, internet connection runs smoothly without any packet loss.

This far I have tried 4 different 100mbit routers and story remains the same.

I notified my internet provider, and they have checked and replaced different parts of the system (switch, etc.). And they say that I should try getting gigabit router, then problem should be gone.
But I dont really want to spend 40Euros just for testing purposes.

My question is - can 100mbit cause any problems for 1 gigabit connection, if not, what can cause this problem?

If I did not provide enough information, please inform me

Thank you in adance!

Solution
No it shouldn't be causing problems, just capping the top speed (the 1 Gbps connection should auto-sense that you've connected a 100 Mbps router, and slow its speed down to match automatically).

It's possible for a faulty router to cause packet loss. But for 4 different routers to experience the same thing suggests you have a different problem. Have you tried a different cable? I've experienced packet loss with ethernet cables which were improperly wired. A lot of people trying to save money by making cables wire them 12345678, when the correct order is 12356478.
No it shouldn't be causing problems, just capping the top speed (the 1 Gbps connection should auto-sense that you've connected a 100 Mbps router, and slow its speed down to match automatically).

It's possible for a faulty router to cause packet loss. But for 4 different routers to experience the same thing suggests you have a different problem. Have you tried a different cable? I've experienced packet loss with ethernet cables which were improperly wired. A lot of people trying to save money by making cables wire them 12345678, when the correct order is 12356478.

Solution

BrightDP

Reputable
Aug 5, 2014
I exclude the chance that it has been improperly wired, just because service was yesterday here and they rewired casble, so it should be fine. Can damaged cable cause this kind of problem, at the same time working perfectly trough direct connection?

I meant the cable between your router and PC.

This is what you're doing when you plug the PC directly into your Internet connection:

ISP - cable - PC

This is what you're doing when you use a router:

ISP - cable - router - cable - PC

Not only are you adding a router, you adding another cable. I'm saying try a different cable between the router and PC.

TRENDING THREADS