100 mbps bottleneck network problem

Raffaele Maddalena

Reputable
May 25, 2015
Hi guys,
i have some network bottlenecks problems. I have a 100mpbs home connection, if i connect my desktop PC direclty to the plug with a wire i get almost the full speed, but if i use a switch (gigabit of course) to connect a router (and even without the router connected) i can't get more than 10-12 mbps. Even if i try to connect the PC wire to the router itself i have the same slow speed. I use cat5 and cat6 cables and i can't figure out what it is, can be possible the switch and/or the router bottleneck the network?

M0j0jojo

Honorable

What switch are you using? I dont think your router is the problem here, since you were getting full speed when you didnt connect to the switch.

Roysyboy

Reputable
Jun 18, 2015
I had a similarish problem. I have two PCs on my home network, and I had them connected by Ethernet cables via my ADSL router which is also a 4-port Ethernet switch or hub. Trouble was the router/switch (or hub) has only Fast Ethernet ports (100mbps) whereas the two PCs both have Gigabit Ethernet (1000mbps) ports. This means that the PCs are restricted to 100mbps on their Ethernet ports by the router/switch to which they are connected. [The Gigabit Ethernet ports on the switch auto-negotiate their connection speed, i.e., they will, if necessary, talk to Ethernet (10mbps) and Fast Ethernet (100mbps) ports on devices connected to the switch.] I solved the problem by buying a cheap (<£12) 5-port Gigabit Ethernet switch, and I use this to connect the two PCs, with a third port on the switch connected to the ADSL router/switch.