Hi guys,

My system is.

R5 3600
Rtx 2070
3 sata SSD
1 nvme ssd (boot drive)
2 3.5 HDD.
16gb 3200mhz ram.

1 of the sata ssds is at 100 percent usage for about 2 minutes at first boot up. The things I've tried are:

I've reset the pc with a fresh usb of windows, swapped the sata cable, plugged it in a different sata port. If I unplug the drive and take out drive D (problem drive), then drive E starts running at 100 percent for the first two minutes. So I've swapped everything in the system and reset everything yet it's still happening. It freezes up my whole pc when I try to open anything on that drive. Is there any ideas what it could be?

If I've missed anything please let me know.

Solution
what make are the hdd's? have you checked their health out? most hdd makers have tests you can run on the drives.

does it happen in safe mode?
go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart now button
this restarts PC in a blue menu
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose startup options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

if it doesn't happen, it could mean you need to update drivers on PC.
could also be a startup program

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any Microsoft services or windows won't load right -...

Colif

Win 11 Master
what make are the hdd's? have you checked their health out? most hdd makers have tests you can run on the drives.

does it happen in safe mode?
go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart now button
this restarts PC in a blue menu
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose startup options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

if it doesn't happen, it could mean you need to update drivers on PC.
could also be a startup program

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any Microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS