$1000-1300 AVCHD Editing Build Suggestions

LastExpo

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013
http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/LastExpo/saved/25lu

NOTE: The GPU I selected is a placeholder. I am looking for input. Please feel free to make suggestions based on the information below.

Approximate Purchase Date: Ready to order parts ASAP. I plan on taking advantage of the Best Buy Price Guarantee or Future Shop Price Beat Promise. They will not only match any price of a product sold at a Canadian store, including online, they will beat it by 10%. All I have to do is add items to Shopping Cart and then call the 1-800 number. Awesome deal.

Budget Range: $1000-1300 After Rebates and Shipping, before taxes

System Usage from Most to Least Important: AVCHD editing and burning using Powerdirector 11, then surfing the internet, using social media, email. I do not play any games, except Facebook ones.

Are you buying a monitor: No, I am fine with my current 22" monitor for now. When I move in a few months, my desk setup may allow for a larger one.

Parts to Upgrade: Parts to Upgrade: I will only be keeping my current monitor, keyboard, mouse, USB HDD (1.5TB) and 2 internal HDD (640GB and 1TB). It is possible the 640GB one is failing.

Do you need to buy OS: Yes, This will be my first build, so all Windows versions are OEM. Also currently running Vista so want new and improved.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Hopefully the item is also sold on Best Buy or Future Shop to max savings.

Parts Preferences: For the video editing I want to do, I don't need the absolute best. Mostly I want to have something that will handle the editing without crashing, or creating coasters when burning. It appears that it is Intel all the way for CPU. Looking towards i7-4770 or the K version, even though not particularly looking to OC, but given the price difference and the fact that almost everyone will advise me to anyway, haha. For GPU, according to what I have read regarding Powerdirector 11, best is Nvidia, and should be at least a 650. I have read way too much, and nobody seems to agree on what I need. Is a 1GB GTX650 enough? How much will a 2GB card help? Is the difference between the GTX650 Ti or GTX650 Ti Boost warrant the increased cost? Or is there a huge incentive with going bigger?

Overclocking: Maybe, after researching.

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe, but not really expecting to. Not enough to pay extra just for this capability.

Your Monitor Resolution: 1280x1024 or 1600x1200.

Additional Comments: BD burners are much more affordable than I thought, so I included one.

SSD would be nice, but apparently Powerdirector 11 does not play well with SSD's unless 256GB or more. I added a 2TB HDD, as mine are 4 or more years old, so they will be solely for storage.

Probably 16GB of memory, unless thought that 8GB is sufficient.

I would like a cool looking case. Love the Alienware Aurora (with adjustable LED colours) case. My favourite colour is orange. Orange did not seem to be a popular choice, so I went with a blue LED theme. I added an extra blue LED fan, either for bottom or secondary top location or to switch with rear fan.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Current computer is very unstable, I believe there are many issues, as well as being 4-5 years old. I have a Q8200 with 4GB of ram and a Nvidia GeForce G210. It used to run earlier version of Powerdirector reasonably well except for the occasional crash.

I appreciate any help that the very talented builders can offer. I have done a lot of research, however most of the data is for Gamers. Please let me know if there is a better part for my needs either in quality or price. If my choices are not felt to be adequate then please let me know. Likewise if I have overshot the needs then I would love to save money. Thank you.

LastExpo

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013
I have the JVC Everio GZ-HM670 HD Camcorder. Are you asking if there is a different HD camcorder that I could buy that would allow me to use a different format, thus letting me spend less on a new computer? It would probably cost $500 for the camera, and since I need a new computer anyway, it seems prudent to keep the JVC. I recorded a friends band during a concert and then created an AVCHD onto a Dual Layer DVD and it looked awesome.

Possibly I misunderstood your question.

LastExpo

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013

I am not needing a computer to "convert". I need a computer because this one is extremely unreliable. I want to build a computer that can edit and then output to give away or to watch on my own tv.