$1000 AMD build

myndhack

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013
I am looking to build a new system for myself since my last one fried because of a flood. I have a $1000 budget. I want to do an AMD CPU with any type of graphics card. I mainly play MMO's like Neverwinter and Battlefield 3. What is your best recommendation.

Marcopolo123

Honorable
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($79.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($67.16 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($389.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($74.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1002.07
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-05-03 08:28 EDT-0400)

A Fx 6300 overclocked can compete with a fx 8350 in games...

Unless your reasons are unrelated to performance, are you interested in considering an Intel CPU? If not, I'm not trying to provoke a debate, but if you aren't sure, you may wish to check some benchmarks of the [types of] games you play. If you're set on AMD, that's fine; a competent PC can be built with an AMD CPU.
Do you have a monitor? If so, what resolution? Do you have a legit copy of Windows you can use, or do you need to buy one? Mouse, keyboard, speakers? These are all little things, but if you need them, they'll eat into your budget.

bemused_fred

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012

This. If it's for pure gaming, intel is the way to go every time. If you're using it for a workbench PC as well, then there's a case for an AMD build, but otherwise, intel kicks AMD's ass at gaming.

No one is trolling. I had no intention of provoking a fanboy debate, and very specifically stated that a competent machine can be built with an AMD CPU. For games, we all know that performance is generally more dependent on the graphics card. In any case, Marcopolo's build is a good example of a nice AMD system.
The 120GB Samsung 840 was really put down by HardOCP in their review for underperforming. I'd either make it an 840 Pro or get the larger model, which performs better. A Crucial M4 would be another decent choice.

bemused_fred

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012

>Having a different opinion to you.
>"Trolling"

Except it's not even an opinion. It's a factual, and objectively provable statement that intel CPUs can be very good for gaming P.C.'s. He even offered to give OP advice on building an AMD-based system if that's what he/she really wants for crying out loud! Call the Waaah-mbulance, take a trip to the butt-hurt-spital and see if they can get something for your rampant, insufferable fanboyism.

OP: Listen to Onus. He's giving good advice!