[SOLVED] ~$1000 Computer Build/Headphone Advice

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bakuryu42

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
Approximate Purchase Date: ASAP

Budget Range: ~1000, might be willing to go slightly higher. After Rebates; After Shipping

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Game Development

Are you buying a monitor: Yes, but maybe not right away?

I currently own these two monitors
https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/UM.FG6AA.B01
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0098Y77OG/

Do you need to buy OS: No, bought a Windows 10 OEM key a while back, hopefully it still works :D

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: As long as its the cheapest, and is a reputable site, I have no loyalty. I do have Amazon prime though just an FYI.

Parts Preferences: Never really been loyal to one brand really. I've heard some people have had issues with Ryzen stuff recently, not sure if that's still true?

Overclocking: Maybe, this will be my third built computer for my self and I never overclocked the last two. If given good enough reasons and the wear on the hardware is negligible then I will consider it.

SLI or Crossfire: No, never heard a good example of where these were actually useful.

Your Monitor Resolution: Currently my monitors are maxed at 1080, but I'd like to get to 1440p at least and have the game still run well. One of my monitors is 144Hz though.
I have yet to full utilized that functionality as most games I would need to significantly dumb down the graphics to reach the FPS needed to get it. So that brings a question, was it worth it? Should I push to try to go this route again?

Additional Comments:
Game Setting Goal - On single player games I want to play on roughly max settings 1440p/60fps at minimum. Multiplayer games mostly shooters I willing to lower res some if it gains me more FPS, but I think most of those games are optimized for that already?
Games I am looking to player or play in the future: CS:GO, Overwatch/2, Rise of The Tomb Raider, The Witcher 3, Red Dead Redemption 2, GTA V, Titanfall 2, Cyberpunk 2, Any game on gamepass.

Tower - I never really be one to show off my computer tower and they usually ended up on the ground or on a stand. That said I do have a decent amount of desk space.
rfv1UJu.jpg

This is an old picture, the monitor is and old one, the newer ones are 24 inchs. Similar position, but farther back and mounted on a two monitor stand that I am less than thrilled with, but does save me some space. So where it is in that picture wouldn't be ideal as the side would be blocked by the second monitor. The other side would make more sense, but depending on what side the tempered glass/plastic is I would be able to see it any way. Main thing I am concerned with is air flow and the amount of dust that gets in.

Headphones: I currently own a pair of Seinnheiser HD 558's and while they have served me well I cannot for the life of me find good reviewed replacement ear pads for them. Also due to them being headphones versus a headset I have had to provide my own mic which clips on to the headset. While not a huge issue I'm thinking maybe its time to upgrade to something a little more streamlined. I don't want to spend anymore then $100 (outside my computers budget) on them, but I would like good sound quality. I currently have ASUS Xonar DGX PCI-E GX2.5 Sound Cards that I am not sure is worth keeping/transfering to my new build, but if I did then the headphones probably need have the proper jack(s) for it. Any suggestions would be great appreciated.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: My last build is from 2012... its really time.

If you have an other questions to help you guys make suggestions please don't hesitate to ask. Thanks.

Solution
I have never heard of a step up program, thats interesting. Problem is that I think Sept 17th is likely when the 3080, 3080ti and titan drop, which is two months time. Not sure that it will only be 1 additional month for the 3070s to come out. I think you will lose that bet.

2070 super in of itself is a great card and should last years.

As for a motherboard, if you are overclocking you want a good VRM. If you want some future proofing you could get a B550, which has PCIE 4.0. If you want more of a budget board, a B450 will work fine and you probably wouldn't even notice a difference. You could save ~80 by getting the budget version of the board linked above. The rest is too just make sure you have enough USBs for all your...
If you can wait, then wait. There is no guarantee that the next 3070 will be the same price as the current 2070. When the GTX 1070 was being replaced by the RTX2070, the price of the 2070 was $500, the gtx1070 was $380 at launch. There are plenty of rumors going around about the next mid range cards being cheap or releasing at the same time as the flagship parts, but those should be taken with a grain of salt.

Bakuryu42

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JWWmtp
Started buying some parts, but I'm creeping past my budget. Paid a bit more for the psu than I'd like, but not terribly. The real offenders are probably the GPU and maybe the case? I dont love the case as I am not a big fan of see through back panels, it's where we hide the mess why would anyone want to see it? RGB from the other seller wasn't much more than a non rgb from the manufacturer so I went with that. The GPU is my bane. This card in particular is eligible for evga's 90 day step up program where if a new card comes out within 3 months I can send my card in for the new one and pay the difference. This in theory could future proof me, but if it take longer than that for an equivalent 3070 to come out then I lose my bet and probably paid more for it. That said that card should probably carry me pretty far yes? Lastly how is the motherboard I have there? Idk what to look for in a motherboard. One thing I looked at was boards with wifi and bluetooth built in like these

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/vF...am4-motherboard-rog-strix-b550-f-gaming-wi-fi

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/FM...-pro-ac-atx-am4-motherboard-b550-aorus-pro-ac

Not sure they are worth the extra cost.

larsv8

Distinguished
I have never heard of a step up program, thats interesting. Problem is that I think Sept 17th is likely when the 3080, 3080ti and titan drop, which is two months time. Not sure that it will only be 1 additional month for the 3070s to come out. I think you will lose that bet.

2070 super in of itself is a great card and should last years.

As for a motherboard, if you are overclocking you want a good VRM. If you want some future proofing you could get a B550, which has PCIE 4.0. If you want more of a budget board, a B450 will work fine and you probably wouldn't even notice a difference. You could save ~80 by getting the budget version of the board linked above. The rest is too just make sure you have enough USBs for all your peripherals.

For me personally, I think it is kinda silly to play games over wifi, so I always use LAN. But that is not always an option for everyone.

Solution