sipher

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: By the end of this week I plan on making the order.

BUDGET RANGE: 800-1000 USD. Although I'd rather keep it as low as possible.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, Programming (for school, I'm a Comp. Sci. major), browsing internet.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Don't need a monitor or OS (gonna be using Windows 7 64-bit). I don't have a keyboard, mouse, or speakers..however I can do that research myself.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg.

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: No preferences for Brands, I look for the best bang for the buck. Although i typically go with Corsair for PSU because I don't like skimping out on it, however I am flexible..at least with the major brands like XFX, etc.

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe..leaning towards yes though.

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No. Possibly in the future but not now.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: I have a 19" monitor I will be using at 1920x1080.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:
This is a build I came up with, let me know what you guys think, if you think I should modify anything, etc:

Case: COOLER MASTER RC-692-KKN3 CM690 II Basic Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case I am VERY happy with this case. Not looking to change it.
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Although I am thinking about a 955, not sure yet.
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-880GA-UD3H AM3 AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
Memory: A-DATA Gaming Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model AX3U1600GB2G9-2G Only 89.99 with the deal this week. However, I was thinking about this module instead: G.SKILL ECO Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBECO
Storage:
Boot drive- Corsair Nova CSSD-V32GB2-BRKT 2.5" 32GB SATA II Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) 69.99 after rebate for an SSD, can't really beat it.
Storage drive- Now for the storage drive, I'm not too sure about. So let me know what you guys think.
PSU: CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-750HX 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply I was thinking about getting the 850 Watt, but I don't think I'd need that much juice.
Video Card: MSI N460GTX CYCLONE 1GD5/OC GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

I am thinking about getting rid of the SSD however to save on money. Along with downgrading a component. Haven't decided yet.

I would encourage you to change to the 955, as the 965 is just a factory OCed 955 - it has it's multiplier up a notch or two above where it is on the 955.

I would recommend a different motherboard if you want to add another graphics card in the future. Firstly because the second PCI-E 2.0 x16 slot on that motherboard is only x4, which is less than ideal for adding as second, fast graphics card to. Also that board doesn't support SLI officially.

I'd prefer the G.Skill set you mentioned.

For the storage drive, the fastest HDDs and at very good prices are the Samsung Spinpoint F3 and Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 at either 500GB or 1TB.

I think you'll only need a good 650W PSU (possibly unless you plan on OCing both GTX460s - when you get the second one).
XFX P1-650X-CAG9 650W 80Plus Bronze The 750W version of this is probably going to be one of the cheapest 80Plus Silver units available that would be right for your system.
Antec Truepower New TP-650 80Plus Bronze
Antec EarthWatts EA750 80Plus
If you were going to stick with just one 460 then a good ~550W PSU

You could always get an SSD later, when they've developed more, increased in capacity and probably reduced in price.

sipher

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010

I really like that set up. However, I have a couple questions. You prefer Sparkle's cooling solution to MSI Cylclone's cooling? I'm trying to figure out which has the better cooling solution becuase I am going to overclock the core/shader/memory just a bit..most likely to 800/1600/2000. At least until I am able to get another card for SLI, which to be honest won't be for at least another 2 months.

And I have seen the Lancool you posted there, and I was a bit torn between that case and the Coolermaster. I will probably go with the Lancool since it has a combo deal with a very nice PSU as you posted. I do have a bit of a concern with air intake though since it only has the one intake fan in the front, and three exhaust fans in the back. I guess I could flip the exhaust fan in the back and have it intake air, but I'd rather there was an another intake fan in the front or one on the side.

sipher

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010

Okay, very nice. Thanks alot for the help. One more question though. With the rig you set up I'd be able to afford the SSD as a boot up drive I posted in my original post, do you think I go for it; or should I put that money towards a better keyboard/mouse?