$1000 Gaming Machine for Mac User

nylock10

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
I'm a Mac user who is looking for a budget-friendly gaming PC. I currently have a small 13' Mac laptop that I use for day to day use, and I'm looking for a dedicated gaming companion for it. Original I was looking at iMacs and Mac Pros for gaming, however they seemed too expensive to use strictly for entertainment purposes. What type of system would you recommend, around $1000 (with a display), to use for gaming?

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: August 25th
BUDGET RANGE: US $1000 (or lower, OK to go slightly above, preferably not)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming (I have a laptop for everything else)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: OS, keyboard, mouse (Windows 7 RC for now, retail after it's released)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg.com

PARTS PREFERENCES: Intel CPU w/NVIDIA GPU is preferred, but to fit budgetary restrictions I'd be happen to make the switch to AMD

OVERCLOCKING: No
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe (if reasonably priced)

MONITOR RESOLUTION: At least 1440x900, 17" display would be fine

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I'm unsure of what display or case to buy. I'd like something to look nice compared to my Mac (so minimalist/clean is a plus).

nylock10

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
Thanks for the build, this seems like a possible buy. Do X58 motherboards feature all the standard hardware (nothing will be "outdated" soon), besides the new USB/FireWire speeds coming up?

Are DDR3, PCI-Express 16x 2.0, and the i7 processor support all recent additions to computer hardware? This system should get me off to a good start.

nylock10

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
Will I need any thermal paste (or any other extra parts) to assemble this machine?

I'm very tempted to order the parts you recommended, however I swapped the GPU for an EVGA GeForce GTX 260 Superclocked Edition card because it was $10 cheaper and came with a free copy of Call of Duty: World at War.