Volknar

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011
Howdy everyone! I've been having a lot of friends try and push me from my 360 to a PC, and I'm thinking about finally doing it. I did some looking around on Newegg, and I got kinda lost. Last time I built a computer was my AMD single-core, 512MB RAM and AGP ATI video card system back when I was a freshman in high school. (Using that computer now, just with 1.5GB of ram and a slightly better video card. :p) It was great then, but now it struggles with StarCraft 2 on almost lowest settings.

Approximate Purchase Date: Early next month, within the first week or two.
Budget Range: Around $1000, as close as possible anyways.
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, internet, watching video.
Parts Not Required: Monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers.
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.
Country of Origin: USA.
Parts Preferences: None really, I just haven't had good luck with ATI graphics cards though; I've have had 2 of them die out on me after using them for under a year, using a 3rd one right now. (X1650XTX, I think is the number) Considering switching to Nvidia, but I'll see what you guys think.
Overclocking: No.
SLI or Crossfire: I want the possibility for it later, but don't need it right now.
Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080.
Additional Comments: Would like a system with good/decent upgrade potential if possible. Stupid me didn't do my research last time I built a computer, got the dying AGP slot on my motherboard when PCI-E was all the rage. :lol:

I've already picked out the case, but the rest I need some guidance on.

Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Thanks in advance!

Volknar

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011
I actually just found that page randomly when I was browsing through the Articles section. And unfortunately, I don't have a Micro Center anywhere around here. (I'm in northern Michigan, closest one is in Detroit. I do remember I checked that place out when me and my buddies went to Warped Tour a couple years ago; wish I had one closer, it was a pretty good place.)

The link looks good, I'll check it out, thanks for the reply!

Anyone else have any alternate builds/suggestions I should check out?

BADGJ31

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
I would check out a HAF 912 or antec three hundred illusion case if you feel like staying in a low-budget range. They're pretty good for the price and I'm currently unable to find anything better (I've bene looking for something better in this price range myself). Otherwise that build is just about what I would recommend for a $1k build - cheaper graphics card if you're not really big on gaming would allow you to splurge a little on a C300 or Vertex 2 120GB SSD with the 1TB Spinpoint F3 as a data disk.