$1000 Not sure what setup I should spend on.

What setup?

• $1000 on Laptop/ultrabook

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $400-$500 Windows8Tablet and $500-$600 Desktop

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
G

I'm going to get all new stuff but I don't know what I should be going for. I've built a desktop before but I've decided huge performance is not what I need. I still need performance but I've decided I'm going to focus more on portability also.

geogolem

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2012
If you want any laptop/portable device wait until sometime after Windows 8 comes out. Honestly right now is a bad time to buy anything except maybe a desktop computer. Lots of things will be changing this Fall with regard to laptops/tablets and portability. Ideal time to buy a new laptop will be sometime after Windows 8 hits the market. In 2013 hopefully we see laptop/tablet hybrids and much more portable power friendly systems.

Of course if you need something now - you need something now. If you game I recommend only gaming on a desktop.Gaming doesn't mix with portability... Its just not quite there yet.

G

Only thing intensive is Starcraft 2, which is fairly easy to run. I've played on ultra the whole time but its something that is nice but not important to me.

Performance is not a major issue, I should have enough. One reason I may get setup 2 over setup 1 is, that the desktop setup can be more ergonomic and its more upgradeable. One reason I may choose setup 1 over setup 2 is with 1 I always have my stuff on one device. But the tablet with setup 2 maybe more convenient outside my home since I usually don't need to open up my laptop and type a lot and it will be smaller. But setup 1 allows me to play Starcraft outside the home but I'm not sure whether that is a good thing or not XD .

G

Yeah I forgot to specify the tablet will be a Windows8 tablet and NOT an android tablet... and I'm not going to buy right away. The desktop I might but not the ultrabook/tablet. I've got a macbook(with windows 8 on it) I've dragged along with in my life... 7years... which I will use. OCD has kept it in nice working condition :D.

G

Damn it changing the names has erased the votes :p. from what I remember it was...

geogolem

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2012
Damn it changing the names has erased the votes :p. from what I remember it was...

I voted for Windows 8 tablet and $500 desktop.

Having said that, we have no idea how much or what types of Windows 8 tablets will be available and you may want to actually push out building the desktop until Windows 8 releases as well... Though I wouldn't necessarily discourage building a desktop sooner. You can always not really care about Windows 8 for the desktop... until maybe later.

Hell, if all you really care about is Starcraft 2 gaming wise... I might reccomend the 1000$ portable laptop but I would highly reccomend waiting until Windows 8 is mainstream.

G

I've read that entry levels were $300 so I'm probably going to buy something around $400-$500. I've tried windows 8 and I personally don't hate anything :p .

geogolem

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2012
I've read that entry levels were $300 so I'm probably going to buy something around $400-$500. I've tried windows 8 and I personally don't hate anything :p .
Ya I am running it on my desktop. At first I hated it and found it hard to use. I figured it woud be nice on a laptop/tablet hybrid type device. I'm visualizing something like the macbook air with a screen that swivels and clicks down covering the keyboard. with a touch screen... basically desktop mode would be when the screen is positioned like a typical desktop and tablet mode would be when you click the screen down covering the keyboard.

After using Win 8 on my desktop for a while and figuring out how it works etc. I actually liked it better than Windows 7. There are several improvements to the desktop experience though the most drastic changes will be felt in the portable space.

G

I concur.

G

Well... Ivy bridge was dissapointing. I no longer want to get a new desktop... Imma stick with my bigger sandybridge desktop. I was hoping that with Ivybridge, I could build a small mITX build but if they're going to run hotter its useless. So I'm just going to get a x86/x64 based tablet :/