$1000 PC for fast multitasking

inshakhan

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009
Hi, I'm trying to put together the parts for a new PC (my friend will be building it, not me). Here's my "new build help template" :)

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: asap

BUDGET RANGE: $1000 including tax, shipping & rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: fast multi-tasking!, internet surfing, downloading (Note: I don't do any gaming & I don't watch much video on my pc - just YouTube & sometimes downloaded tv episodes)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, speakers (I'd like a new monitor but I don't think I can get it on this budget)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg or tigerdirect

PARTS PREFERENCES:
- what I'm pretty sure about - Intel Dual or Quad Core, 8 GB DDR2 memory, 1 TB WD caviar black HD
- what I'm not too sure about - P45 mobo
- what I'm clueless about - case, power supply, cooling, video, sound, & optical drives (note on optical drives - I do alot of CD & DVD burning so I'd like 2 drives & I want them to be from a trusted brand)
- I need a printer - I'm pretty sure about this one for $99.99:
Brother HL series HL-2170W Up to 23 ppm Wireless Laser Workgroup Monochrome Printer
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16828113291&Tpk=N82E16828113291

OVERCLOCKING: No

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1024x768

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I just want it to be fast for what I use it for. I'm impatient! And I spend several hours a day on my computer. I usually have open Firefox, utorrent, Gigatribe, & AVG. Other programs I use when I need them are: Dreamweaver, Quicken, Excel, Word, & Picasa. On my current PC (P4 3Ghz, 1GB ram), if I open any of those programs, there's a terrible lag. For example, 15 seconds to open Word then another 2 seconds to bring up the open-file dialog.

I want quick responses. I want to be able to run what I'm currently running, plus skinning programs like Rainmeter or Stardock, plus have it respond quickly when I open one or two of the others I listed. Hope this is making sense!

Another big question I have is on the OS - I'm using XP Prof SP3 & I have absolutely no problems with it. However, I've heard that Vista is noticeably faster & I like the idea of that. But I've also heard ALOT of griping about it. So I don't know that I want to take the leap on switching to it since Windows 7 will be out in the next year, won't it?

I'm not building this PC myself so I have no clue as to what other parts I need like cables or anything else that is typically needed to build a PC. My friend will be building it & he doesn't have alot of time for messing around finding parts that I didn't provide or trying to fit in parts that I didn't put together right (like buying a mobo or fan that's too big for the case!) Plus, I'll be paying him by the hour so I want to make sure I have everything ready to cut down on his time. Thanks for your help!

I don't normally recommend pre builts, but in this case I'm making an exception. This here would be a lot less pain in the arse to deal with...especially what your looking for, and probably cheaper than what any of us here could build for what it offers. I know I couldn't build that rig for that price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883113089 $779.99
Gateway LX6810-01 Core 2 Quad Q8200(2.33GHz) 8GB DDR2 640GB NVIDIA GeForce GT120 Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit - Retail

inshakhan

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009
Thanks so much guys! After I looked at that Gateway you recommended, I was excited to not have to mess with building one because it has way more than I would have gotten by having my friend build it - plus now I don't have to deal with the time it would take him to do it! It was in stock at Best Buy so now I'm already up & running using this new, fast pc & I'm loving it (except for all the crapware that I would have avoided by building one ...) And I DID use the extra money for a crazy-big 22" wide screen (I was using a 15" on my old computer - can you imagine how much fun I'm having now - my husband thinks I'm insane!) Thanks again, & I will have that PSU replaced :)