$1000 Render box!

dezork

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
Approximate Purchase Date: TBD- either now, or Black Friday.

Budget Range: $1000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Multithreaded CPU-bound Rendering, CUDA computation, gaming.

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.com/Any US site

Country of Origin: USA.

Parts Preferences: by brand or type: Intel and nVidia (for CUDA).

Overclocking: maybe

SLI: In the future maybe.

I'm considering these components:

Intel Core i7-2600K
$314.99

GIGABYTE GA-Z68P-DS3 ATX Intel Motherboard
$104.99

ENERMAX NAXN 82+ ENM750AWT 750W Power Supply
$119.99

Galaxy GeForce GTX 570
$269.99

NZXT GAMMA Classic Series GAMA-001BK Black Computer Case
$35.99

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1866
$149.99

Basically the big question is- should I wait until Black Friday (end of November), and should I wait for Sandy Bridge E 3820? I'm not thrilled about the idea of having my whole CPU socket outdated in a few months.

Also, is 16 GB DDR3 1866 wasted on a chipset that doesn't support quad channel?

Other things: I need an nVidia GPU, for CUDA-accelerated rendering. AMD cards won't work.

thanks! :D

You do NOT need nVidia gaming card for rendering . AMD cards have the same trick too BTW and you dont need one of them either

Intels Quick sync is built in to the processor and is faster so either ditch the graphics card completely and run on the processor graphics , or make sure your mb is copatible with the lucid logicx drivers that enable quick sync and a cheaper [$70 ish] graphics card if you need multi monitors

Since you dont have a huge power hungry graphics card then drop the psu to a 450 watt unit , and buy a nice quiet office case that wont annoy you as you work

If you are using a 64 bit program then by all means use 16 gb of RAM , other wise 2x4 gig will be plenty . Probably better with 1600MHz and lower latency if you can also have the 1.5 volt you need

dezork

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
thanks for the reply.

I don't believe ATI has CUDA... and I need CUDA cores for GPU rendering (aka Octane and Cycles, which don't support opencl yet).

Also, I need a GPU simply to drive millions of polygons on screen while working (multires mesh sculpting, etc).

Any feelings about whether to wait till November for socket 2011 and quad-channel memory support?

ATI dont call their version cuda , but they do have the same technology .
Both are driver dependent so you are probably right about the graphics card , and should stick with nVidia if you are sure there are drivers .

dezork

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
Most GPU renderers only support nVidia's CUDA.

Anyway, thoughts on waiting for the November socket 2011 update?