<$1000 video editing spankin new build

readingwench

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013
Hello all. Let me kick this off my admiting I'm a total newb, never bought a part before. My head is swimming with models and brands and numbers and requirements and I could really use a hand because I don't really know the first place to start, what products are reputable etc etc

Approximate Purchase Date: sooner the better

Budget Range: $700-$900

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Video Editing, web surfing, Gaming (Would like to get in to it, never had a computer that could even kind of support the thought of it)

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: whooooole new build

Do you need to buy OS: Yes (Windows 7)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Don't really care, mostly been looking at tigerdirect.ca

Parts Preferences: Don't have one? I've MOSTLY been looking at AMD

Overclocking: Maybe someday, not a focus on this build

SLI or Crossfire: I have no idea what this is

Your Monitor Resolution: 1680x1050

Additional Comments: Quiet is wonderful, my current lump of computer is a jet engine

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: My current....thing.... can't even use Windows Movie Maker without possibly (probably) just giving up. Itunes makes it quiver, youtube is stuttery, and I think it actually laughed at me when I tried to download a movie once.

As I said I've been mostly looking at AMD for CPU (FX - 4100 and 8350) but I haven't gotten very far in anything else....I kind of just go in circles endlessly. This is me - :eek: - I've been at this for hours two days in a row I just don't know where to start. I do know I can actually do the build though as I've replaced various pieces of various machines for friends with very good success rate.

Boxasauras

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z75 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($76.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($83.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Western Digital RE4 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($86.23 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 6850 1GB Video Card ($147.55 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($66.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $869.67
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-07 02:33 EST-0500)

Don't go with an AMD CPU, Intel is much better, IMO.

You can up the storage space on the HDD if you want for about $30.

I'm not going to lie, I know very little about GPUs, so you'll probably want to get someone else's help for that.

If you don't want to overclock, you can probably take out the CPU cooler, as the stock intel cooler will be fine.

You can change the case if you want, as a lot of it is aesthetics.

Also, on a side note, SLI and crossfire are basically having two GPUs in the build to increase performance.

Solution