[SOLVED] 100C CPU Temprature?

woodk1d

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2012
Hello everybody, gonna need some help with my CPU being over 90C.
Yesterday I got back home after 4 days that I've been away from my PC/Home (the same for me). I booted my PC on and I heard my cpu fans were really loud and I have a bad experience from this noise in the past since the same happened to my old PC and this was the reason I bought a new one! and yesterday I booted the pc, and the temps of my CPU were on 100c all of a sudden... I didn't do anything, everything was perfectly fine 4 days ago and what the hell gone wrong there ? I am sure everything is connected fine(cpu cooling), I did not overclock anything, only having XMP on and thats it! please guys I need your help, I don't know what to do with this problem.
my CPU is Intel I7 10700K and Corsair H45 cooler

edit: good to mention, the PC is brand new, I bought it like 2 months ago and everything was perfect.. and it is so weird that the PC was turned off for 4 days and I came back to this, because nothing has changed, it was turned off.

Last edited:
Solution
What might have changed while you were away?

Sounds to me like your H45 aio is not working properly.

The pump should be connected to a cpu pump header to insure that the pump always runs.
If you touch the pump, you should be able to feel a vibration.

Possibly, while you were away, some sediment in the cooling liquid settled and clogged up the works.

Really, a H45 is not an effective cooler and really not good enough to get the best out of your I7.

If you have 160mm available in your case, I would replace the cooler with a twin tower air cooler like the noctua NH-D15s.
It will be much more effective, quieter, more reliable, and will never leak.
I am using Corsair H45 liquid cooler.. it is an AIO and how do I check if the pump is running ?

Your H45 should have a 3 pin pump connector. Connect it to a fan header on the motherboard. If it displays 0 RPM or N/A in the BIOS then most likely the pump is dead.

You should also check if the radiator gets hot when your CPU goes to 100C.

The pump itself should make a humming noise if it's indeed working.

woodk1d

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2012
Your H45 should have a 3 pin pump connector. Connect it to a fan header on the motherboard. If it displays 0 RPM or N/A in the BIOS then most likely the pump is dead.

You should also check if the radiator gets hot when your CPU goes to 100C.

The pump itself should make a humming noise if it's indeed working.
what do you mean by a "fan header" ? I tried reconnecting the 3 pin connecter.. still nothing. and no, nothing feels hot in my pc, in fact it seems really cool, maybe the "overheat" melted my thermal paste it maybe I need to re-apply it ?
and also, in BIOS the cpu fan is running 2000+rpm but the water pump is N/A, but you know, since it is not a fan it can't monitor it, and I am sure it is N/A on every other computer.

what do you mean by a "fan header" ? I tried reconnecting the 3 pin connecter.. still nothing. and no, nothing feels hot in my pc, in fact it seems really cool, maybe the "overheat" melted my thermal paste it maybe I need to re-apply it ?
and also, in BIOS the cpu fan is running 2000+rpm but the water pump is N/A, but you know, since it is not a fan it can't monitor it, and I am sure it is N/A on every other computer.

You know that the pump has a DC motor just like the fans and its RPM is measured the same way. The RPM of the motor is measured... doesn't matter if it's a fan or a pump.

The pump can be connected just like a case fan... but I assume you have it already connected to the pump connector on the motherboard. If it shows N/A that means that the pump is dead.

If the radiator is cold that's a bad sign, not a good one. That means that the heat is not transferred away from the CPU because the pump is not moving the hot liquid away from the CPU through the radiator... so the radiator remains cold.

If the pump is not working, I'm afraid is time for a new CPU cooler.

Last edited:

tsibiski

Reputable
Jun 23, 2019
But first, make absolutely sure you have the correct fan cord connected to the correct motherboard header. I know someone who connected that cord to the wrong motherboard header, and it simply didn't work. But there was nothing actually wrong with the AIO in that particular case.

So just double and triple check that before you throw this one out and order a new one. Reread the motherboard manual to make sure what the correct port is - avoid assuming it's the correct header without knowing for sure.

What might have changed while you were away?

Sounds to me like your H45 aio is not working properly.

The pump should be connected to a cpu pump header to insure that the pump always runs.
If you touch the pump, you should be able to feel a vibration.

Possibly, while you were away, some sediment in the cooling liquid settled and clogged up the works.

Really, a H45 is not an effective cooler and really not good enough to get the best out of your I7.

If you have 160mm available in your case, I would replace the cooler with a twin tower air cooler like the noctua NH-D15s.
It will be much more effective, quieter, more reliable, and will never leak.

Reactions: jasonf2
Solution

woodk1d

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2012
I'll just get a decent AIO cooler I guess...
I am sure 100% the cooler is connected to the right headers, since it wasn't me who built it it was the people from the store which is their job to build pc's, and yes, everybody makes mistakes but for 2 months everything was perfectly fine and suddenly after 4 days of the PC not being on this happens so it is really weird..
these are the BIOS measuring: https://prnt.sc/urcian

jasonf2

Distinguished
I am with geofelt here. When AIO became the "thing" to do I ran a few of them. They are intrinsically better at cooling but mechanically more complex which makes them less reliable. A big air cooler, assuming it is a good one, will not quite perform as well as an AIO, but it will get very, very close. For most people who aren't overclocking there will be no noticeable difference even at full operation. The big difference for me is that because the heat exchanger is mated directly to the cpu on the big air when the fan fails you don't get catastrophic temps, just thermal throttle. Because AIO requires a pump to move the liquid to the radiator to exchange heat, when the pump fails there is almost no ability for it to shed heat on the pump interface. So when a AIO pump stops working thermals go crazy. When a fan goes bad on a big air you have a much more component failure friendly situation. As to your issue if I were betting the pump on your AIO failed. You will get high thermal from that at both idle and trying to run it with potential reboots and CPU temp post errors. If you replace it with big air make sure it will fit in your case first, as they can be huge.

woodk1d

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2012
I prefer an AIO, it is a lot more smaller and I had good experience from an AIO, I had an Corsair H45 Hydro on my old PC for almost 4 years without problems.
another question, is it safe to use the PC while my CPU is at 90+C temperature ?

I prefer an AIO, it is a lot more smaller and I had good experience from an AIO, I had an Corsair H45 Hydro on my old PC for almost 4 years without problems.
another question, is it safe to use the PC while my CPU is at 90+C temperature ?

No you shouldn't... that's way too high for comfort. It'll need to run at that temperature until you buy a new cooler... constantly.

I'll drop in a recommendation since you'll be replacing with another AIO. The Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280(you'll need to check if your case allows for a 280mm AIO) is one of the best when it comes to thermal performance... even outperforms expensive 360mm AIOs at a considerably lower price.

Reactions: Theresa N