Question 100gb to 10gb connection

Ronens1400

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014
Hi everyone!
being the networking nerd among my friends, one of them asked me if there could be a way to connect a server with a 100gb NIC to a 10gb switch port, and i was stumped, i could not think of something i heard of.
Can anyone help?

I doubt they exist. Optical ports only run at 1 speed so even if they physically can be connected and they use the same fiber type it still won't function. The copper ports are completely different for 10g and 100g so there is no cable that exists.

I doubt you see many servers with 100g cards anyway. It is almost impossible for a server to put out that much data. You quickly get into other bottlenecks in the machines. Things like PCIe4 only started to come to market this last year or so you pretty much could not even use a 100g card before that.

kanewolf

Titan
Reactions: TJ Hooker
If you're looking at mellanox you have to look at the infiniband speed and the IP speed. These cards run 40Gbs IB or 10Gbs IP. You can buy 3 of these and 3 dacs and create a ring network for a cluster and not have an expensive switch. Different types of shared storage can use IB and you can also use IP for anything else that doesn't support IB.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mellanox-C...:X6wAAOSwJ71aZj-E:sc:USPSPriority!47712!US!-1

Latest posts