kinggaming60

Reputable
Dec 3, 2018
I recently upgraded to a CAT 6 cable and i still only get 100Mbp/s. I have already changed the speed&Duplex of my ethernet driver and still nothing has changed. My motherboard is a ASUS Prime Z370-P so it should be able to get 1.0Gbp/s right? Thanks!

Solution
So i can finally close of this thread as my issue is now solved. I refunded the CAT 6 cable and got myself a CAT 7 cable instead of CAT 6 as even some of the comments were saying that they couldn't achieve over 100 mbp/s with CAT 6. I plugged it in today and praise be finally, 1 Gbp/s speeds. Thankyou all for your help and suggestions!
It has nothing to do with your cable but one (or more) of the NIC in the chain is an old 10/100 NIC. So typically:

PC(NIC1) ----> (NIC2)Switch(NIC3) ---> (NIC4)NAT/router(NIC5) ---> (NIC6) Modem.

ANY of the NIC not capable of 1 gig, will drop you down to the slow speed. So find out.

kinggaming60

Reputable
Dec 3, 2018
It has nothing to do with your cable but one (or more) of the NIC in the chain is an old 10/100 NIC. So typically:

PC(NIC1) ----> (NIC2)Switch(NIC3) ---> (NIC4)NAT/router(NIC5) ---> (NIC6) Modem.

ANY of the NIC not capable of 1 gig, will drop you down to the slow speed. So find out.
How the heck do i find that out? :tearsofjoy:

kinggaming60

Reputable
Dec 3, 2018
LOL. Well neither Siri nor Alexa would know.

Me, I go into each box's manual (no hard copy, download) go into the SPECIFICATION section and read, one piece of equipment at a time.
Realtek® RTL8111H That is the LAN controller in my motherboard and it says is can go up to 1Gbp/s so i guess the answer is its not the NIC idk XD

You want to leave the nic set to auto. It gets confused if you set one end to some value and not the other. You can not set the router speed/duplex.

In general if you are only getting 100mbps on the nic it means there is some issue with the cable....assuming you did not hard code it to 100mbps.

Even though you just purchased the cable it almost has to be the problem. The only other thing would be bad ports in the router or pc which is extremely rare.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

kinggaming60

Reputable
Dec 3, 2018
You want to leave the nic set to auto. It gets confused if you set one end to some value and not the other. You can not set the router speed/duplex.

In general if you are only getting 100mbps on the nic it means there is some issue with the cable....assuming you did not hard code it to 100mbps.

Even though you just purchased the cable it almost has to be the problem. The only other thing would be bad ports in the router or pc which is extremely rare.
I highly doubt it is the cable, all the golden connectors seem perfectly fine both in the Mobo, router and cable. I'm getting one of the ISP technicians out soon to see what's wrong with it, but i appreciate the help

kinggaming60

Reputable
Dec 3, 2018

View: https://imgur.com/SuZXTlD
Here's a picture of the connectors to the Motherboard on the cable, tell me if you see something i don't.
View: https://imgur.com/prZAjXJ

Here's the one that connects to the router

Actual cat5 cable likely have not been made since before you were born..assuming you are pretty young. Cat5E cables can run gigabit. Cat6 cable have no real benefit but are sometime cheaper. They do make cat6a cable but those are for people that have 10g ports.

It is really strange if you have mulitple cable that will not run at gigabit speeds.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

kinggaming60

Reputable
Dec 3, 2018
Actual cat5 cable likely have not been made since before you were born..assuming you are pretty young. Cat5E cables can run gigabit. Cat6 cable have no real benefit but are sometime cheaper. They do make cat6a cable but those are for people that have 10g ports.

It is really strange if you have mulitple cable that will not run at gigabit speeds.
But as far as you are concenred or can tell they're nothing wrong with the connectors?

kinggaming60

Reputable
Dec 3, 2018
Reason I suspect NIC, not cable, 'cuz bad cable unlikely to cut u off precisely at 100 mbit, that's just too coincidental. Must have spare cable to test, ideally a very long one so u can hook up PC DIRECTLY TO MODEM, and bypass everything in between.
The cable is directly connected to the Modem and it can't be the NIC my network adapter says its GBE meaning Gigabit Ethernet. And the cable doesn't have any kinks in it at all. Whenever i run a diagnostic test on my ethernet box, it shows that the ethernet port is having issues, so i have a technician coming to see whats wrong, and if it's the cable at fault, I will return it to amazon and get a refund and order a new cable maybe CAT7? @bill001g
View: https://imgur.com/XONMDBU

And my ethernet Driver is the realtek® rtl8111h LAN that's bog standard with my motherboard and supports from 10/100/1000Mbp/s

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Reason I suspect NIC, not cable, 'cuz bad cable unlikely to cut u off precisely at 100 mbit, that's just too coincidental. Must have spare cable to test, ideally a very long one so u can hook up PC DIRECTLY TO MODEM, and bypass everything in between.
Not really coincidental. If gigabit auto negotiation failed due to a bad cable (or whatever) it'd have to drop down to 100 Mb, there's nothing else in between.

Last edited:
Reactions: ElectrO_90

kinggaming60

Reputable
Dec 3, 2018
Not really coincidental. If gigabit auto negotiation failed due to a bad cable it'd have to drop down to 100 Mb, there's nothing else in between.
Ye's so i think it has to do with the Modem and if its the cable then the lad who is coming to sort the issue out might be able to see that tomorrow, hopefully. And i do not have another PC i can test it on, would an xbox possibly work as a test? @ElectrO_90