Question 100Mbps Internet Connection advice

Feb 21, 2019
Need some advice on how to better improve my home internet performance

Hardware
  • Linksys - E1200 - Main router
  • Google Wifi - 3 units Bedroom, Ofice and Living Room
  • Desktop PC - Wireless dongle ( Tenda)
  • The cable between Router and Google Wii - Cat 6
Number of devices connected = 19 ( mix o hones tabs, google homes, shield )

Home
  • Singe Storey home
  • Size of home - 2500 sq ft
Speed test
  • Ookla = 50Mbps (desktop PC )
  • Google Wifi = 68Mbps download 18 Mbps
  • uTorrent download speed = 7MB/S ( Desktop PC)
Problem
unable to get the 100mbps speeds that I'm paying for

Baseline speed test
I've also created a broadband connection on my laptop and tested the speeds directly from the main line and it shows 100Mbps
I lose speeds as soon as I connect my hardware

I've also tried hooking up a cable from my Linksys router directly to my Desktop PC and then checking the speed and it just about 80Mbps

Google Wifi Mest tests - Great

What do I need to do or change

Last edited:
Do u have a CAT cable running to each individual Google WIFI box? If the answer is no, then the WIFI boxes are communicating to each other via their own wireless link and each time u take it to the airways, potential bottleneck.

My own quick answer is, run a cable to each WIFI box, I really don't know how to do it otherwise and improve your throughput significantly, maybe others will chime in with tricks.

Feb 21, 2019
Do u have a CAT cable running to each individual Google WIFI box? If the answer is no, then the WIFI boxes are communicating to each other via their own wireless link and each time u take it to the airways, potential bottleneck.

My own quick answer is, run a cable to each WIFI box, I really don't know how to do it otherwise and improve your throughput significantly, maybe others will chime in with tricks.

I Agree

I actually have the cables running to the rooms with each of the Google Wifi devices but GWifi asks me to disconnect the cable and use the access point setup instead.

I'm sure I would get better performance if I could hook them up with cables.

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong with the setup but my theory is ...

...that I have the Huawei Telecom box connected to the Linksys router in order to establish the internet connection ( Network 1).
I use a cat6 then to connect it to the Google Wifi ( Network 2) and the Google Wifi then establishes its own mesh

If there was an out on the Google Wifi I could have connected it to a hub and then hooked up the cables to the other rooms - thereby establishing one single network or all Google devices but now if I try to hook up the Google Wifi using the cables connected to the back of my Linksys Router its unable to discover the devices

This would be so much easier to explain if I could attach images...