Question 101 ºC | i7 4790 K | Need Help

Goldwrap

Reputable
Jun 22, 2015
Hey guys, I have a problem with my CPU i7-4790k, motherboard z97x-UD5H

In idle or using chrome i get around 60-65 ºC but when going PUBG or other game it goes 88 ºC++++ eventually getting to 100 ºC. I noticed that because FPS going down a lot and suffering microstuttering.

What I have done :

- Went into BIOS and checked RPM CPU fan speed it was like 35 RPM with 90ºC IN BIOS, then without doing anything it went to 1400 ~ RPM and then temp went down slowly to 60º C. After that I toggled manual settings for CPU fan, by default it was 0,75x, so I changed it to 2,25x speed/temps but nothing has changed.

- In the picture below you can see all the details and also my CPU is 4 ghz base but somehow it is running at 4,4 without ever doing a OC or touching anything.

6BdsrHJ.png

r0otlmN.png

So don't know what is the reason or how to fix it. Thanks in advance

4.4 GHz is the standard boost frequency for the 4790k.

What cooler are you using? Have you dusted it recently? A motherboard probably can't detect 35 MHz from a fan. If the fan is giving it such odd readings, it may be either dying, or caked in dust.

I have my 4790k set to 4.2, as it is barely any slower but tremendously cooler.

Reactions: RodroX

Goldwrap

Reputable
Jun 22, 2015
4.4 GHz is the standard boost frequency for the 4790k.

What cooler are you using? Have you dusted it recently? A motherboard probably can't detect 35 MHz from a fan. If the fan is giving it such odd readings, it may be either dying, or caked in dust.

I have my 4790k set to 4.2, as it is barely any slower but tremendously cooler.

Hey Ketchup79, I'm using a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo and yes I dusted it today. Not only it but full computer

I can read the CPU RPM's on BIOS but not using HWMonitor or HWinfo, reason for that?

What is your temperature at idle?
If your cooler is mounted well and working, you should be seeing 10-15c. over ambient.
The hyper212 can be tricky to get mounted level.

Does your case supply sufficient intake airflow to let your cooler do the job?
I would consider two 120mm front intakes as minimum.
If you also have a hot graphics card, you might want more.

If you take the case covers off, does that fix things?
If so, look to case cooling solutions.

Reactions: RodroX
Not sure if you have the option but, I would go into the BIOS and set the fan speed to 100%.

The cooler of the hyper 212 have two versions, 600-1600rpm (EU) and 600-2000 (rest of the world).

If you set it to 100%, go into Windows and still can't read the fan speed on hwmonitor or hwinfo then yeah probably time to change the fan.

Goldwrap

Reputable
Jun 22, 2015
Hey guys thanks for your help and you won't believe which was the problem.

For some reason the case fans weren't connected, so there was no air flow since years..lucky that components weren't damaged after that high temps expose during that much time. When I ordered the computer they mounted it, and I never noticed till now if the fans were working....

Now after some tests I'm running on 60ºc under heavy load..