101 things to do with a dead hard disk :)

Andre

Hi group.

With all the computers being scrapped, there must be literally
thousands of useless HDD's dumped every week in the UK alone.

So, things to do with them.

1) Maglev (take off heads, use one of the actuator magnets)
2) Hard drive speakers (see Afrotech's site for this one)
3) Novelty paperweight (take off lid, fill with casting resin)
4) Novelty keyring (old Microdrives work well for this)
5) Exhibit in computer museum
6) Drive failure mode analysis
7) Send back to manufacturer and get new drive under warranty
8) Strip down for useful connectors and SMD tantalums
9) Bulk sell the PCB's on Ebay for data recovery purposes
10) Sell them on Ebay for £0.99 each as "Faulty" :)
11) Fix them with Spinrite 6.0 and sell as refurbished drives
12) Stress relief (spin up to insane RPM and hit with hammer)
13) Novelty doorbell (put button in centre of platter)
14) Doorstop
15) Pack with Thermite and light it to see how much is left of drive
16) Maglev train (same principle as *1 but a row of them)
17) Miniature centrifuge (take off platters, add tube carrier unit)
18) Time capsule (write data, seal in durable case then bury in
concrete)
19) Laser scanner (glue mirrors to the spindle motor/actuator arm)
20) Tesla Turbine (nice flat platters- might work!)
21) Spin-coating machines
22) Gyroscopes for small satellites
23) Ultra-high RPM sanding machines
24) CD Destroyer (fix CD clamp to spindle motor and pin to head arm)
25) Strip spindle motors out, and use for small R/C helicopters
26) High efficiency motors for solar water pumps
27) Attach propellors and use as wind turbines

Please add to this :)

-A
"Bother" said Pooh, as his Apple laptop caught fire...

On 19 Aug 2004 11:04:42 -0700, testing_h@yahoo.com (Andre) wrote:

>4) Novelty keyring (old Microdrives work well for this)

I have a dead 50MB drive I'd like to turn into keychain. Just one
thing: no one makes any pant pocket big enough for the winchester
drive. ;)

Good list BTW.
--
To reply, replace digi.mon with tds.net

Andre wrote:

> Hi group.
>
> With all the computers being scrapped, there must be literally
> thousands of useless HDD's dumped every week in the UK alone.
>
> So, things to do with them.
>
> 1) Maglev (take off heads, use one of the actuator magnets)
> 2) Hard drive speakers (see Afrotech's site for this one)
> 3) Novelty paperweight (take off lid, fill with casting resin)
> 4) Novelty keyring (old Microdrives work well for this)
> 5) Exhibit in computer museum
> 6) Drive failure mode analysis
> 7) Send back to manufacturer and get new drive under warranty
> 8) Strip down for useful connectors and SMD tantalums
> 9) Bulk sell the PCB's on Ebay for data recovery purposes
> 10) Sell them on Ebay for £0.99 each as "Faulty" :)
> 11) Fix them with Spinrite 6.0 and sell as refurbished drives
> 12) Stress relief (spin up to insane RPM and hit with hammer)
> 13) Novelty doorbell (put button in centre of platter)
> 14) Doorstop
> 15) Pack with Thermite and light it to see how much is left of drive
> 16) Maglev train (same principle as *1 but a row of them)
> 17) Miniature centrifuge (take off platters, add tube carrier unit)
> 18) Time capsule (write data, seal in durable case then bury in
> concrete)
> 19) Laser scanner (glue mirrors to the spindle motor/actuator arm)
> 20) Tesla Turbine (nice flat platters- might work!)
> 21) Spin-coating machines
> 22) Gyroscopes for small satellites
> 23) Ultra-high RPM sanding machines
> 24) CD Destroyer (fix CD clamp to spindle motor and pin to head arm)
> 25) Strip spindle motors out, and use for small R/C helicopters
> 26) High efficiency motors for solar water pumps
> 27) Attach propellors and use as wind turbines
>
> Please add to this :)
>
> -A
> "Bother" said Pooh, as his Apple laptop caught fire...

Hello, Andre:

Boat anchor? :)

Cordially,
John Turco <jtur@concentric.net>