[SOLVED] 10400F or r5 3600? (same price

gutsygoat

Reputable
May 30, 2017
I was wondering whether I should reccomend a 3600 or a 10400f to my friend, they both cost the same here. Which one should I choose? (He is going to be using the pc for gaming)

Solution
there's about a 10 euro difference between an atx b450 mobo and a b460 here (then again, a 'desirable b460 would probably be even more)

No one mention that B460 board will only allow you to run the any RAM kit you buy at a MAX DDR4 2666MHz (I can't believe Intel is still doing that kind of stupid market segmentation, at least if you are lucky with stocks there are a few very decent Z490 boards for a fair budget).

And as such whatever small performance diference between the chips will be gone. You need to get a Z490 board to be able to run memory at over DDR4 2666MHz.

If you go with the B460 then both chips will be basically identical, been the Ryzen 5 3600 a tiny bit (very few FPS) faster depending on the game.

In any case...
I was wondering whether I should reccomend a 3600 or a 10400f to my friend, they both cost the same here. Which one should I choose? (He is going to be using the pc for gaming)

There's not really going to be any noticeable difference unless your friends planning on running a 2080ti...on any mid level gpu the results will be indistinguishable.

The 3600 (depending on motherboard) will offer the option of upgrading to the Ryzen 4000 series down the road...I don't know if the Intel boards will offer future cpu support.

gtarayan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
The 3600 (depending on motherboard) will offer the option of upgrading to the Ryzen 4000 series down the road...I don't know if the Intel boards will offer future cpu support.

Purportedly, Socket 1200 will support 11th gen Rocket Lake cpus with PCIe 4.0 support. In my opinion, Ryzen is the better platform at this time - that is not to say you won't see slightly higher frame rates with Intel. While 10400f is a good chip, ultimately you will want the top-end CPU unless you typically upgrade platforms often. Those power hungry, heat-breathing beasts will need significant cooling solutions, especially if you run it in a smaller case. Finally, 5 years down the road, I'd rather have a 16 core CPU rather than a 10 core one that consumes 300W - but then again, I hold onto my systems for a long time. (My office machine is an X58 which I have had since 2009 which now has a 6 core Xeon upgrade).

Reactions: dorsai

gtarayan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
Would overclocking the 3600 a bit make up for its weaker performance out of the box?

In my opinion the small gains achieved are not worth the uptick in required voltage and consequent heat. Run your RAM at 3600. Intel is not miles ahead in gaming, but it is a reliably measurable difference. To me that difference is irrelevant, but I can see how a serious gamer might need that extra 1-10% edge.

gutsygoat

Reputable
May 30, 2017
In my opinion the small gains achieved are not worth the uptick in required voltage and consequent heat. Run your RAM at 3600. Intel is not miles ahead in gaming, but it is a reliably measurable difference. To me that difference is irrelevant, but I can see how a serious gamer might need that extra 1-10% edge.
So if the main purpose is gaming, would you reccomend intel?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
As you can see from the video I posted above their not a lot of difference in them. One thing to consider is the price of the motherboard also, in general you can buy a board for the AMD for less than a Z490 for the Intel. That could free up a bit of money to get a better video card.

For the overclocking their just not much to gain on the 3600 processor over the normal boost speed.

Reactions: RodroX

gtarayan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011

Personally, no - but that's because I value the overall platform's potential over specific chip's capability. I expect Ryzen 4000 CPUs to close the small gap. Based on speculation and leaked data, Intel's next cpus will be power hogs with a slight performance upgrade. Like I mentioned earlier, years later (when applications will take advantage of multi-threading even better) your AMD system will let you upgrade to a 16 core/32 thread CPU while the existent Intel will max out at 10.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Personally, no - but that's because I value the overall platform's potential over specific chip's capability. I expect Ryzen 4000 CPUs to close the small gap. Based on speculation and leaked data, Intel's next cpus will be power hogs with a slight performance upgrade. Like I mentioned earlier, years later (when applications will take advantage of multi-threading even better) your AMD system will let you upgrade to a 16 core/32 thread CPU while the existent Intel will max out at 10.
By the time that happens for gaming the AM4 platform will be old and slow compared to the new processors out at that time.

there's about a 10 euro difference between an atx b450 mobo and a b460 here (then again, a 'desirable b460 would probably be even more)

No one mention that B460 board will only allow you to run the any RAM kit you buy at a MAX DDR4 2666MHz (I can't believe Intel is still doing that kind of stupid market segmentation, at least if you are lucky with stocks there are a few very decent Z490 boards for a fair budget).

And as such whatever small performance diference between the chips will be gone. You need to get a Z490 board to be able to run memory at over DDR4 2666MHz.

If you go with the B460 then both chips will be basically identical, been the Ryzen 5 3600 a tiny bit (very few FPS) faster depending on the game.

In any case, whatever you pick both chips are very good to game.

For future upgrade path, I would really skip both B450 and B460 chipsets and get a B550/X570 or Z490. Sadly at this point is really hard to get most decent motherboard at a fair price.

Edited: as it was mention by others already, yeah don't waste your time with OC the R5 3600, but do get a decent cooler for it to allow the CPU to keep the boost frecuency for longer... as long as the you have a decent motherboard and airflow inside the case (which are both good things to have for either Intel or AMD).

Sources:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqCGHHOZYcA

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csFwlKgZCzM

Good luck

Last edited:
Reactions: gtarayan
Solution