1050 fans spinning but no signal

Nov 7, 2018
So, I built a new PC, but once I connect it via HDMI to my monitor, it won’t recognize the 1050. It starts spinning when I turn on the PC, but stops a few seconds later. While it’s plugged in, onboard graphics don’t work (That would be normal) but the 1050 won’t output any signal. I still have to buy the HDD, so I was trying to access UEFI BIOS. I’m able to do that with onboard graphics, but not with this one. This is a Gigabyte GTX 1050 OC Edition and my build has a 750W Sentey Metal Blade PSU, Intel Core i5 8th gen and Gigabyte H310 mobo

Solution

You're exactly right about the fans. It's referred to as a zero decibel fan system. They remain on till the driver loads, then shut down until the GPU core temp reaches ~60C.
3D Active Fan

And yes, if the HDMI connector is really big, tapering it a bit will work and fix it for future uses.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Is the card new or used? Be sure the card is fully in the slot from front to back. There should be no reason the card won't produce a display unless it is defective. I'm assuming that card does not require a 6-pin connector.

The fans stopping after initial boot isn't right either. If you had Win installed and the driver for the card, I might expect 0 decibel fans to stop when the OS loads, but they should continue to run until then.

Nov 7, 2018

Yup, I was just checking if everything was running alright. I knew I could access the UEFI BIOS even without a drive, so I tried that. I have seen people install Windows with the Graphics card already installed, so it should be able to run it no matter what. But maybe something weird is happening here. My theory is that as I don’t have the drivers installed (No drive), it doesn’t output a signal, but as it is connected, it bypasses onboard graphics anyway, so both of them become unusable.

Nov 7, 2018
The card is technically new. I bought it a few months ago but it remained unopened till today. I hope it isn’t defective tho, since a new one is pretty expensive where I live.

Nov 7, 2018
Well, I was able to track down the problem. The thing that prevented it from working was actually the case. The little slots you can take off on the back weren’t perfectly designed, so that causes my HDMI cable to stop before actually connecting. I’m going to use a razor blade to make that fit. The fans thing persisted though. Maybe because it isn’t reaching high temperatures?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Ha ha... Good job tracking it down. Ironically, I have had that happen myself on a few builds. Usually, I just loosen the mounting screws and slide the card away from the obstruction, plug in the cable, then slide the card back as far as it will go, and re-tighten the screws.

Btw, a gfx card does not need a driver to produce its display. The driver is only for use once in the OS (win) to make use of all the performance capacity it has. Besides, you can't install a Win driver w/o being in Win anyway ;)

Nov 7, 2018
I was actually thinking about modifying the HDMI cable itself, as it has a lot of rubber around the connector. Maybe cutting it slightly on a 45 degrees anglee will make it fit. Regarding the fans, I will assume that’s normal. My friend has a 1070 and most of the time the fans don’t spin when he isn’t gaming. As this is a simple BIOS, I will assume they don’t speed because they aren’t taking that much load in order for it to heat up.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

You're exactly right about the fans. It's referred to as a zero decibel fan system. They remain on till the driver loads, then shut down until the GPU core temp reaches ~60C.
3D Active Fan

And yes, if the HDMI connector is really big, tapering it a bit will work and fix it for future uses.

Solution