Question 1050Ti incompatibility with Windows

GunnerCO

Prominent
Mar 21, 2021
Stumped on this one —
  • ASUS P8Z77 mobo, used for years with no problems.
  • Ran 1050Ti in it for some time, no problems.
  • Built new system, transferred 1050 to it, no problems.
  • Rebuilt old system as a backup using mobo graphics, no problems.
  • Now trying to get 1050 to work in same hardware system with a fresh Win10 install, but Win locks up just after starting to load if the card is installed. Emphasis: same card in same mobo that worked just fine from original first install before.
Have tried:
  • Various BIOS settings under PCI devices/graphics card order;
  • Switching PCIe16 slots;
  • Installing updated Nvidia driver (won't, without card installed);
  • Booting Win in safe mode (to install updated driver package);
  • Cursing a lot.
Any suggestions as to why this combo stopped working, with the only real change being an updated but raw Win10 install?

System works perfectly in all respects using the mobo graphics, just not enough for much besides MS Office.

Thx...

Last edited:

AntonyLovric

Distinguished
Guessing the 1050 TI you have doesn't have a power connector?

'Fresh Install' - Has the fresh install been patched fully?

Is there anything (errors / warnings) in the Windows Event Viewer under the 'System' or 'Application' logs?

Last thought:Has the PSU changed?

GunnerCO

Prominent
Mar 21, 2021
Guessing the 1050 TI you have doesn't have a power connector?
It does. Power connected.

'Fresh Install' - Has the fresh install been patched fully?
It's been running a while. I assume it's DLed updates. Not sure how that would matter on fairly old hardware; I assume the drivers etc. would be stable.

Is there anything (errors / warnings) in the Windows Event Viewer under the 'System' or 'Application' logs?
Good suggestion; I'll look.

Last thought:Has the PSU changed?
Nope, completely the same hardware other than a new HDD (built new system because RAID boot array was failing, rebuilt old system to basic functionality as a backup. Another user is now trying to ramp it back up to gaming level). PS is fairly overpowered (Antec 750) for the current build, with multiple drives and so forth stripped from the system.