106 degrees F at idle?

costanza

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
While putting together a home plex server from an older Lenovo desktop, I'm using my surface pro 4 to transfer a couple hundred mkv 1080p blu ray rips from several 2tb WD passports to a single "HGST NAS 3.5-Inch 5TB 7200RPM SATA III 128MB Cache Internal Hard Drive Kit 0S03835" using an Anker 3.5 to usb3 adapter. The HGST is setting on my desk while I fill it up and then I'll put it in the Lenovo via internal sata connection (it lacks usb3). I first noticed how hot it was as I was transferring the files. Using a handheld ir thermometer, it read 110 degrees Fahrenheit. It was uncomfortable to hold from the heat! I set up a small portable fan to blow on it and the temps dropped to the high 80's, which is what the other WD 2tb drives were at just on their own. After I was done filling it up, it sat idle the following day, still attached to the 3.5 to usb3 adapter. The light on the adapter was off, but the drive made a tick/click every 5 seconds or so. I reached over and felt it was very hot again. I then measures that it was 106 degrees just sitting there, not even being used. I installed a disk status program (can't remember the name) and it had 2 yellow/caution indicators. One little exclamation point on the drive said there were 89 relocated sectors and another was beside the temperature. The 4 2tb WD passports were all good (no errors and good temps). I bought this drive because I wanted something very reliable, but all this has me very concerned. Should I be? I have a home video surveillance system that came with a WD blue drive that's been running 24/7 for a year and it's barely warm to the touch. I'm seriously considering returning the HGST to Amazon and getting a 5tb blue. The Lenovo is compact and the airflow is pretty low over where the HDD is designed to sit. I'm not worried about losing data as the mkv rips are staying on the WD passports. I just dont want the interior of the Lenovo to bake and I really didn't want to go through the added expense and trouble of trying to baby this HGST and keeping it cool. I wanted to go with an internal HDD for the faster internal sata connection speed (again, lenovo's external ports are usb2) and the simplicity and compactness of not having 2 boxes (a pc and an external drive) that both required external power.

lakimens

Honorable
A Hard Drive at 106???
How is it even alive..
That is definitely not good.
Seagate rates their hard drives for operating temperature up to 60C
I know this is not Seagate, but it's still a hard drive.
Try taking it out of the case and see how the temperatures go, if the HDD is okay, the temps will fall down to under 50C.
If they don't, definitely return it.

costanza

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
Yes. Fahrenheit. I'm in USA. Haha. I guess in all my 45 years, I've never felt a HDD that was more than just warm. This thing is HOT. Is 89 "bad" sectors expected in this model?
Also, I was going to have a quiet and somewhat energy efficient setup. Does all this heat mean it's using more energy than a drive like the WD blue would use?

costanza

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
I won't be replacing the HDD in the video surveillance system until the current one dies :)