[SOLVED] 1060 3gb or 6gb?

Feb 20, 2019
So my friend is getting a new pc, and i suggested him a 1060, but im not sure should i get the 6 gb version, or the 3 gb version.

In gaming comparisons the 3 gb gets in proportion 85 fps while the 6gb 95

So should i go with the cheaper one,

Or are there some reason (compatibility wise) to get the 6 gb, he is on a pretty strickt budget

Solution
Get the 6GB variant, if your friend has the budget, as it is going to be more future-proof. It depends on what type of games you play though. Some are VRAM-hungry, whereas others not.

But, honestly speaking, the 3GB GTX 1060 card isn't that much of a weak GPU either. It's actually a cut-down variant of the full GTX 1060 6gb CHIP though (slightly slower in performance, but does the job).

Not sure, if you are already aware about this, but this card is not only having 3GB less of VRAM, but it also has lower SPECS, when you compare it with the proper 6GB variant. Actually, a lot Gamers thought they bought a GTX 1060 GPU, which is having only 3GB less of VRAM. But in reality, both these cards are having different specs...
Get the 6GB variant, if your friend has the budget, as it is going to be more future-proof. It depends on what type of games you play though. Some are VRAM-hungry, whereas others not.

But, honestly speaking, the 3GB GTX 1060 card isn't that much of a weak GPU either. It's actually a cut-down variant of the full GTX 1060 6gb CHIP though (slightly slower in performance, but does the job).

Not sure, if you are already aware about this, but this card is not only having 3GB less of VRAM, but it also has lower SPECS, when you compare it with the proper 6GB variant. Actually, a lot Gamers thought they bought a GTX 1060 GPU, which is having only 3GB less of VRAM. But in reality, both these cards are having different specs.

The 3GB SKU has one disabled SM, which actually reduced the core count by roughly 10%. "They also dropped the processing cores to 1152 CUDA cores (128 cores per SM), alongside 8 fewer TMUs, when you compare it with 1280 CUDA cores featured on the 6GB model."

It's a different product though. NVidia's choice to name the card actually confused some buyers into thinking it's just a GTX 1060 with half the VRAM, which is plainly false.

Last edited:
Solution

david_the_guy

BANNED
May 11, 2019

Not sure, if you are already aware about this, but this card is not only having 3GB less of VRAM, but it also has lower SPECS, when you compare it with the proper 6GB variant. Actually, a lot Gamers thought they bought a GTX 1060 GPU, which is having only 3GB less of VRAM. But in reality, both these cards are having different specs.

The 3GB SKU has one disabled SM, which actually reduced the core count by roughly 10%. "They also dropped the processing cores to 1152 CUDA cores (128 cores per SM), alongside 8 fewer TMUs, when you compare it with 1280 CUDA cores featured on the 6GB model."

It's a different product though. NVidia's choice to name the card actually confused some buyers into thinking it's just a GTX 1060 with half the VRAM, which is plainly false.

This....Right on the money..Even my friend bought the 3 GB model few years back, and after checking the specs, they were lower than the 6GB card, so it had us confused. I'm not sure why Nvidia did this though.....They could have called it GTX 1050 TI or something like that.

david_the_guy

BANNED
May 11, 2019
This....Right on the money..Even my friend bought the 3 GB model few years back, and after checking the specs, they were lower than the 6GB card, so it had us confused. I'm not sure why Nvidia did this though.....They could have called it GTX 1050 TI or something like that.