1060 3GB vs 6GB vs RX580 (again with the dead horse)

devestator_x

Honorable
Apr 28, 2017
Ok, so I know I'm beating that poor horse by asking this. But I've got about a $300 budget in total. My current system consists of the following...
i5-7500
MSi Bazooka B250M
Critical 2400mhz DDR4 16GB (8GBx2)
ATI HD7770 1GB
ASUS VG248QE Monitor (1080p, 144hz)

Obviously, the HD7770 doesnt fit in this equation. I've been debating for weeks now which card to get. I didn't have the cash until just this weekend (actually wont have it until Sunday) But in the lead up to the purchase, I've been researching and researching and have changed my mind about 8 times now. So I thought I knew I wanted the 1060 6GB, but just recently, I've seen a lot of back and forth saying the 3GB card is a much better purchase. Right now, I can snag a 3GB card for about $200 or a 6GB card for around $250. The RX580 4GB also crossed my mind, but that's $250 as well. I was sort of thinking if I got the 3GB card, I could use the extra money to upgrade to an SSD for my main drive. Obviously, I tend to run my gear for a long while before upgrading. My previous CPU was an FX6100 before I bought the i5 this summer if that tells you anything. Basically I only want to do this once and be done for a few years before I need to do it again.

Solution
I was in the same exact situation as you. What I decided was to go with a 1060 6GB and upgrade storage later because for what I do, 1TB HDD is enough for now. However if you do want the SSD I would agree with what Blackbird said ^. In my opinion don't go with RX 580 4GB either because you can get 6GB of VRAM for around the same price and Nvidia just makes better GPUs. The 1060 will also probably last longer than the AMD card.

Good Luck!

useless2112

Prominent
Nov 10, 2017
I was in the same exact situation as you. What I decided was to go with a 1060 6GB and upgrade storage later because for what I do, 1TB HDD is enough for now. However if you do want the SSD I would agree with what Blackbird said ^. In my opinion don't go with RX 580 4GB either because you can get 6GB of VRAM for around the same price and Nvidia just makes better GPUs. The 1060 will also probably last longer than the AMD card.

Good Luck!

Solution

devestator_x

Honorable
Apr 28, 2017
Thanks guys. I didnt choose Blackbirds answer solely due to the fact my money is currently tied up in Paypal and I dont want to lose another 3% moving it over to my bank account... so buying on Amazon is no go for this section of my upgrades (which stinks because I cant use my Prime membership). Anyway, looks like the 1060 6GB is the clear winner here. When I had last "made up my mind" I was going with the EVGA Superclocked card anyway, so I will stick with that and upgrade my storage later. The SSD wasnt so much for extra space as it was for faster load times. I currently have 1.25TB of storage (3 physical drives... dont ask, I like to recycle)