[SOLVED] 1060 6 gb or rx580

Jun 20, 2019
Hello everyone. Making this thread cause im in the market for a new gpu and i came to a conclusion these 2 are what fits me. In my country the Gigabyte GeForce GTX1060 6GB Windforce OC and the sapphire rx580 nitro + are the same price . The rx580 is clearly superior but im worried that my psu cant handle it . Help me decide

Current pc specs:
Cpu : ryzen 3 1300x
Motherboard : Msi gaming plus
Ram : 2 ddr4 2400mhz sticks
Gpu : r7 260x
Psu : Vs450
Other : 1 hdd ,2 case fans

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
The VS series is notorious for having some problems when put under heavy load, that and because it is a budget line, it doesn't have the best safety mechanisms in place to protect other components in problematic situations. Many here of the forums have had a lot of experience with he VS PSU line and not many experiences are good.

On top of that the RX580 should (by recommended standards) have a 500W PSU, and a good quality PSU at that, as it is quite power hungry.

The other side to this is the 1300x, would probably struggle on some applications with the RX580, the 1300x is a very good CPU for the range, but I wouldn't be surprised that in some applications, it would hold the RX 580 back.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lul_dgd
Your PSU is an average quality unit. An okay-ish low-quality model, not the very best. The VS and CX series are mostly good for like office builds and lower power PCs, that don't spike/push hard, unlike gaming PCs with a GPU.

You are using a very low end, group regulated PSU. When you’re using such high performing GPU there will be a large draw from the 12v rail, and small from the 5v rail. This is what causes loose voltages on your power supply, which may cause issues such as lockups but also decrease your components lifespan.

Better get a good power supply, if possible. The VS series is kinda cheap, with just an 80+ white certification... But, they are not THAT bad either. But most of the the corsair VS series models offered by Corsair haven't been good, and they are low quality units. I wouldn't even use VS series to power an office PC, let alone powering a gaming PC with it with dedicated GPU in it.

Corsair CS, CX and CXm series are better than VS series build quality wise, but they are still worse than anything offered by Seasonic.

Reactions: Lul_dgd
Jun 20, 2019
The VS series is notorious for having some problems when put under heavy load, that and because it is a budget line, it doesn't have the best safety mechanisms in place to protect other components in problematic situations. Many here of the forums have had a lot of experience with he VS PSU line and not many experiences are good.

On top of that the RX580 should (by recommended standards) have a 500W PSU, and a good qualtiy PSU at that, as it is quite power hungry.

The other side to this is the 1300x, would probably struggle on some applications with the RX580, the 1300x is a very good CPU for the range, but I wouldn't be surprised that in some applications, it would hold the RX 580 back.
So you would recommend the 1060 ?

The GTX 1060 might work....But it would be much better if you grab some other high quality PSU, if you are willing.

PSU is the last component you might want to cheap out on, or skimp. Try to get some other high quality PSU, IF possible. Power supplies are an imperative part of your system that should not be taken lightly. Throwing in a budget PSU could result in poor power efficiency or even a wrecked system. Don't SKIMP on the PSU,, since this is the MOST important PC component. I can't stress this enough.

Jun 20, 2019
Your PSU is an average quality unit. An okay-ish low-quality model, not the very best. The VS and CX series are mostly good for like office builds and lower power PCs, that don't spike/push hard, unlike gaming PCs with a GPU.

You are using a very low end, group regulated PSU. When you’re using such high performing GPU there will be a large draw from the 12v rail, and small from the 5v rail. This is what causes loose voltages on your power supply, which may cause issues such as lockups but also decrease your components lifespan.

Better get a good power supply, if possible. The VS series is kinda cheap, with just an 80+ white certification... But, they are not THAT bad either. But most of the the corsair VS series models offered by Corsair haven't been good, and they are low quality units. I wouldn't even use VS series to power an office PC, let alone powering a gaming PC with it with dedicated GPU in it.

Corsair CS, CX and CXm series are better than VS series build quality wise, but they are still worse than anything offered by Seasonic.
I know my psu is not really good so ill probably up
What's your budget for the PSU ? Are you willing to upgrade ? If yes, then specify the budget/currency, and your location as well/country.
I cant really upgrade my psu rn but im willing in the following year

I know my psu is not really good so ill probably up

I cant really upgrade my psu rn but im willing in the following year

The GTX 1060 might work....But it would be much better if you grab some other high quality PSU, if you are willing.

PSU is the last component you might want to cheap out on, or skimp. Try to get some other high quality PSU, IF possible. Power supplies are an imperative part of your system that should not be taken lightly. Throwing in a budget PSU could result in poor power efficiency or even a wrecked system. Don't SKIMP on the PSU,, since this is the MOST important PC component. I can't stress this enough.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Well

If it were me I would probably consider getting a good quality PSU if you get either GPU, this is just more important if you opt for the RX580. The capability of the cards is actually quite similar, RX580 has more VRAM, but the 1060 has usually better/faster performance.

So basically if it were me:
  • If I got the 1060, I'd think about getting a better PSU sooner rather than later.
  • If i got the RX580, I'd get a better PSU straight away.