1060 core clock wont change with overclock

Warhawk327

Commendable
Feb 1, 2017
Hello, i didn't know where else to go for this so I turn to the knowledgeable people on this forum. Hours of google searching got me no where. I have an MSI GTX 1060 6GB which come factory overclocked i believe(don't quote me). At stock speeds it idles at 1569mhz and under load boosts to 1873mhz. I tried using msi afterburner and evga precision xoc, however any core offset does not change what the base clock is. When i check gpu-z it shows the core is at the overclock but neither overclocking platform does, so initially i thought this was just a weird bug, but any bench marking i do, regardless of how high i set the offset, the results are the same as stock speed. I am using heaven and cinebench for my bench marking.

Solution
I’m not sure if you have applied enough of an OC to see an actual increase in FPS. I would download the free version of 3DMark and run the Fire Strike benchmark without any OC applied (record results) – then apply your OC and re-run the Fire Strike benchmark and compare results. That benchmark should have enough fidelity to show if the OC is applied or not.

I’m pretty sure that if GPU-Z is reporting your applied OC, that it is indeed applied.

Warhawk327

Commendable
Feb 1, 2017

It supports overclocking for the cpu so i assume it would for the graphics card. its the msi krait gaming 3x lga 1151

burnhamjs

Commendable
Jan 19, 2017

GPU-Z should be showing the actual GPU and Mem Freqs. I use OC Guru II, some I’m not real familiar with what MSI and EVGA have for displays, but do they just show what OFFSET or do they have a screen that show the actual freqs? Sometimes Heaven reports inaccurate freqs, but what is it reporting for the GPU/Mem freqs?

Warhawk327

Commendable
Feb 1, 2017

They both have a screen that reports actual frequencies. Heaven will show the frequency at the supposed overclock but the results are always the exact same as stock speed which is what afterburner and precision show the frequency to be at.

burnhamjs

Commendable
Jan 19, 2017
So MSI, EVGA, and Heaven show you at stock Freqs, but GPU-Z is reporting the OC freqs? Just want to make sure I am understanding correctly.

I'm assuming based on GPU-Z's reports that you are indeed OC'd. Personally, I run 3DMark which gives a CPU, Physics, and Combined score - so I can tell if I am actaully getting a performance gain. Have you verified your FPS in Heaven go up during benchmarking?

Warhawk327

Commendable
Feb 1, 2017

MSI and evga report stock frequencies, heaven and gpu-z report oc frequencies. There is no performance difference in heaven or cinebench no matter what overclock I set, so it seems that Msi and evga are correct in reporting stock frequencies since performance remains the same

burnhamjs

Commendable
Jan 19, 2017
I’m not sure if you have applied enough of an OC to see an actual increase in FPS. I would download the free version of 3DMark and run the Fire Strike benchmark without any OC applied (record results) – then apply your OC and re-run the Fire Strike benchmark and compare results. That benchmark should have enough fidelity to show if the OC is applied or not.

I’m pretty sure that if GPU-Z is reporting your applied OC, that it is indeed applied.

Solution

Warhawk327

Commendable
Feb 1, 2017

I downloaded 3dmark and it seems to show my overclock working. I think at first my overclock wasn't high enough to show results in heaven. Afterburner still shows it idle at the original base clock however it shows the boost up to the overclock boost

burnhamjs

Commendable
Jan 19, 2017
nice job!

Apr 9, 2018
I had the same issue. My fix was to uninstall the MSI Gaming APP. It was causing the core clock speed to stay at the default setting or which ever setting was in the MSI Gaming APP.

Once I uninstalled it MSI After Burner was able to OC the core speed as usual.

- Truong Vu

TRENDING THREADS