1060 crashes after starting a game

Thatpkmtrainer

Honorable
Nov 21, 2016
So it started out with my 1060 crashing my system a lot and it would freeze up. So after having no results with reinstalling my graphic drivers, I decided it was time to restart windows and get a fresh copy. So now on my fresh drive, my 1060 runs without freezing until I start up a game. I started up Escape from Tarkov and it loaded for about 20 seconds and then suddenly started artifacting in red colors across the whole screen. Then it froze and the display crashes and gets no signal. Then after a few minutes the screen will come back on with the game crashed. I desperately want to fix my gpu

Solution

Contact manufacturer and they will probably issue you a RMA so that you can get back to gaming.

Have you seen your GFX card temps?

Thatpkmtrainer

Honorable
Nov 21, 2016
I haven't done any oc to the card. I did realize that the card was only getting 139mhz while just browsing the web and then when I'd start a game, it would shoot up to normal speeds

That's normal so.

Try resenting the GPU, and making sure the contacts are clear. Also make sure it has the 6pin cable plugged in until you hear a click, which indicates it's in correctly.

Thatpkmtrainer

Honorable
Nov 21, 2016
Well as I asked earlier, can I still return my card even if I bought it from Newegg or Amazon? Will evga still take the card? I've had the card for a while now. How much should I expect to pay also?

Which 1060 is that? If it has a factory OC you can remove that and see if it becomes stable. All chips are not created equal. One 8700K may not OC as well as another 8700K with everything else being equal. Same applies to identical GFX cards. The max OC will vary. This means that these GFX card vendors can't just test it for functionality and install the chip and send it out. They do something that's called binning. Chips that don't OC well will end up in a founder's/reference/vanilla card others that OC better end up in a SC or OC and then the "best" chips end up in SSC, FTW(1,2 or 3) or other top end card. The problem that can arise is their binning is not perfect and thusly some OC's won't be stable and the consumer will experience the artifacts and other issues.BUT the consumer can open their Nvidia control panel, Click on Help within the menu and click on debug. A check/tick will appear and then they can try to game again. The Debug mode removes the factory overclock.

I'm not saying this will fix your card but that is one troubleshooting step you can try. And even it does fix the artifacts the card is still unstable and needs to be RMA's. Debug mode is just the pudding.

Thatpkmtrainer

Honorable
Nov 21, 2016

This is my card: https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16814487260

Also, can't I just underclock in MSI Afterburner?

This is a question you should ask yourself BEFORE you purchased the card!!! What sort of warranty does the card come with? Look at the end of the model number and you are likely to see a K which means the card has a 3 year warranty. The consumer however has responsibilities. They are to register the card within 14 days of purchase. You I can only assume failed to do that. It most likely is still under their warranty but "for a while now" isn't helpful. Just call up EVGA at 1 (888) 880-3842 or visit their site and open a support ticket. EVGA is know for how liberal they are with their warranty.

How much will it cost? It will cost the amount that it takes to ship your card. Maybe $10? Only ship them the card. They don't need everything else. Look on the reverse of the card and you should see a sticker with a serial number that will match the one on the box, which you don't have. :) Making this easy. Still I hope you have that sticker. You visit your local preferred shipping provider and send it. I however paid nothing. The reason I had to send back my GTX 970 is because of a manufacturing defect. I am going to pay for something caused by someone else? Nope.

That is a step that EVGA asked me to perform. It's best to allow EVGA to lead this dance.

For others that see this question I think it's easier to just click debug. For experienced users we know or can easily find the core and memory clocks so we can perform that step manually via MSI AB but I am not certain the clocks are the only thing Debug changes.

But your card isn't an OC model so debug is probably moot. Offering all your components within your original post helps. You showed us a GFX card and nothing else.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS