1060 egpu firestrike so low

Jun 28, 2018
Hello! I'm using a hp spectre which has i7-7500u core processor on it. However, when I bought the egpu and connected it with the laptop, it showed some really poor performances in games such as overwatch, barely maintaining 60fps. When I ran the firestrike benchmark on it, it gave me 3700. 3700 for a 1060 6gb!!!!!! I don't think it could be this low, even if it is the egpu. HELP!!!

Solution
Are you using an external monitor, or the laptops native display?

TB can be implemented with PCIe 3.0 x2 - where that restricted bandwidth can play a huge part (morseo in things like benchmarks than in actual gaming)

From what I've read; the higher tier the card, the greater the potential hit and native displays appear to suffer more than external

Also, FireStrike will take other factors into consideration (to a lesser degree than the GPU though, obviously).
Considering the 7500U is a (relatively) low clocked dual core, and uses DDR3L, that could play a part in it.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Are you using an external monitor, or the laptops native display?

TB can be implemented with PCIe 3.0 x2 - where that restricted bandwidth can play a huge part (morseo in things like benchmarks than in actual gaming)

From what I've read; the higher tier the card, the greater the potential hit and native displays appear to suffer more than external

Also, FireStrike will take other factors into consideration (to a lesser degree than the GPU though, obviously).
Considering the 7500U is a (relatively) low clocked dual core, and uses DDR3L, that could play a part in it.

Solution
Jun 28, 2018
Well first of all, I'm using a 144hz gaming monitor. And the graphics score alone was 3400, so that was pretty devastating :(
I do not know what you mean by the second sentence(sorry) but I can tell you that currently I'm using an ZOTAC AMP Box Mini for by egpu case, which I think it uses PCIe; it's a thunderbolt 3 PCIe expansion box.

Jun 28, 2018

Well first of all, I'm using a 144hz gaming monitor. And the graphics score alone was 3400, so that was pretty devastating :(
I do not know what you mean by the second sentence(sorry) but I can tell you that currently I'm using an ZOTAC AMP Box Mini for by egpu case, which I think it uses PCIe; it's a thunderbolt 3 PCIe expansion box.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Thunderbolt *should* be implemented with at least x4 (4 PCIe lanes).... while not ideal, it's typically sufficient.

Some vendors (I can't find anything to state either way regarding an HP Spectre) implemented at x2 (2 lanes), where there's quite a dramatic drop-off in performance.