[SOLVED] 1060 or 1070 with i5-4590

ninen2001

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2013
I recently bought a used 1060 6GB as an upgrade from my 1050Ti but now afterwards I'm not sure whether I should have gotten a 1070 instead. I have an i5-4590 and 10GB DDR3 RAM. Would a 1070 give me better fps in games, would my cpu be a bottleneck? I play games like DayZ, Rust, Call of Duty, Battlefront 2 (the new one).

Solution
A better GPU will always contribute to higher FPS, as for your CPU bottleneck, it shouldn't cause too much of an FPS drop. What will however is your RAM. Day z I know personally has memory leak problems and uses a ton of your RAM. As for the other games, modern titles are always requiring more and more RAM regardless if you're playing on medium or even low settings.

I recommend you look into upgrading your RAM capacity if you don't plan on upgrading your motherboard anytime soon. The 1060 should hold fine for now but that RAM is going to be your main bottleneck.
A better GPU will always contribute to higher FPS, as for your CPU bottleneck, it shouldn't cause too much of an FPS drop. What will however is your RAM. Day z I know personally has memory leak problems and uses a ton of your RAM. As for the other games, modern titles are always requiring more and more RAM regardless if you're playing on medium or even low settings.

I recommend you look into upgrading your RAM capacity if you don't plan on upgrading your motherboard anytime soon. The 1060 should hold fine for now but that RAM is going to be your main bottleneck.

Solution

ninen2001

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2013

Yeah I was thinking about getting new RAM but then I decided to go for the GPU instead. I was actually happy with my 1050ti until I tried the new COD MW Beta and was met with pretty much unplayable fps unless I was playing with 60-70% render resolution and everything and low, and even then it felt weird.

Another thing I guess could make my RAM situation even worse is that I have 4 RAM sticks, 3 of which are identical but one is a completely different brand and MHz. Originally I had 8GB of some old AData RAM and was thinking of slowly replacing each one with a HyperX Fury DDR3 4GB but I only got one. You're saying I should get more stable FPS and maybe even higher FPS in some games if I got 3 more Fury 4GB RAM sticks? I do want to upgrade my motherboard with a newer i5 and DDR4 but I just don't have the money right now.

ninen2001

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2013
IMO the best solution for that pre-exising system would be the RX 570 8gb. Any higher end graphics card would be held back by that platform.

I was close to buying an RX 580 8GB but the seller didn't respond after until I already bought the 1060 6GB. I watched some benchmarks and the RX 580 8GB and the 1060 6GB seemed to be pretty equal in performance.