1066mhz ram running at 667mhz?

hooda88

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
So I've been trying to read up on memory and running my memory and fsb at a 1:1 ratio for best performace. Frankly, I'm getting confused with reading so many different scenarios and then trying to apply them to my situaiton. So, in hopes of getting some more specific help to my situation:

-I have 4 gigs of Patriot Extreme Performance 4GB (4x1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Memory
-I have an EVGA 775 Nvidia nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
-I just recently upgraded my cpu from a conroe e6700 2.66ghz to a wolfdale e8500 3.16ghz (had to flash the bios to enable the use of this wolfdale chip)

When I start my computer, I can see that the fsb is 1333, but the memory speed is 667mhz, not 1066. Should I manually change this from 667 to 1066 in the bios? I read somewhere that the fsb 1333/4=333, and memory 667/2=333. Is this what is meant by getting a 1:1 ratio. I have gathered from the reading that I've done so far that it is best to get a 1:1 ratio fsb to memory. What would I need to change if anything in the bios to achieve this 1:1 ratio, or alternativly the best set up with the hardware that I currently have? I'm not interested in overclocking at the moment.
Thanks for any advice you all can give!

My current system:
Intel Core2Duo E8500 3.16ghz
EVGA 775 Nvidia nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
EVGA 8800 GTS 640 MB GDDR3 PCI Video Card (XFX ATI Radeon HD 4890 on it's way)
Patriot Extreme Performance 4GB (4x1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Memory
Western Digital Raptor X WD1500AHFD 150GB 10000 RPM SATA Hard Drive
Samsung 226BW 22" 2 ms (GTG) Widescreen LCD Monitor
Hiper 580W ATX12V Power Supply

technuttso

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
In theory u have a perfect combo Ram-Chipset Mobo.
By the other hand u have to understand that all DDR2 1066MHz Ram are overclocked 667MHz or 800MHz based Memory. Are nothing but selected, in factory, good chips that can overclock better than other.
Use CPU-Z to read Memory section. U will see the actual speed and timings that the memory use now,and under section SPD u will read the JEDEC instructions and EPP instructions.
Under JEDEC voice u will find "standard" DDR2 timings and frequency, under EPP u will find the instructions for overclocked settings like 1066MHz frequency and timings tested for that freq, in this case i think they are 5-5-5-9 :eek: . And the voltage is very important. Standard voltage ,under JEDEC compliance is, for most DDR2 memory, 1.8v. Usually for EPP capable or"ready" memory the voltage is 2.1v-2.3v under EPP instructions.
As i first mantioned u have a good combo, in theory.
EPP (Enhanced Performance Profiles) stands for an open standard developed by Nvidia and adopted by most mainstream memory makers used to write additional information to the spd chip of each memory module. This information contains the parameters to set the memory timings to on select motherboards that support this feature. While memory modules with Enhanced Performance Profiles will work on any motherboard, only motherboards equipped with properly-designed BIOS's, such as those designed for NVIDIA nForce® 590 and 680 SLI media and communications processors (MCPs), will detect the presence of these new capabilities and prompt the user to set PC boot parameters for guaranteed optimized settings. When paired with NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI or 590 SLI-based motherboards, SLI-Ready memory exposes advanced performance memory settings.

I guess u have to access the BIOS settings to sett the Memory voltage manually and check if the EPP instruction are sett. if not u will have to sett manually.
Search for more infos on the Internet, and good luck! ;)