[SOLVED] 1070 a good choice?

aDavid903

Commendable
Dec 28, 2016
So I have noticed that I have had some framedrops in certain games I've been playing lately. I want to get a new graphics card, do you think the geforce 1070 would be a good choice? I have an AMD Ryzen 5 2600 and 8gb of RAM.
Thanks,

David

Solution
Ok this is probably below average quality psu, especially if not the v2. However it’s not terrible, it could be a lot worse.

You could do the 1070 upgrade and then if you find you are disappointed with stuttering look to go 16gb. Just remember it is best to buy a match RAM kit (2x8gb) instead of adding another 2x4gb to your current RAM.
Need more information please;

What resolution and Hz is your monitor?
What games are you seeing frame drops, what are the FPS?
What configuration and speed is your RAM, for example 1x8gb 2133mhz or 2x4gb 3000mhz?
What is your current GPU?
What make and model is your PSU?

aDavid903

Commendable
Dec 28, 2016
Need more information please;

What resolution and Hz is your monitor?
What games are you seeing frame drops, what are the FPS?
What configuration and speed is your RAM, for example 1x8gb 2133mhz or 2x4gb 3000mhz?
What is your current GPU?
What make and model is your PSU?

I have an ultrawide 2560x1080 monitor on 60hz, my game (assassin's creed origins for example) is very unstable even at the very low settings. Between 10 and 40 fps
My RAM is 2x4gb, 3000 mhz
I have a sapphire radeon r9 380 pre-nitro charged (aka factory overclocked)
I have a 600 watt power supply

A 1070 is a good choice for your monitor. Your RAM is fast enough and can run in dual channel mode but for that game to not have any stuttering you really wanted 16gb.

However 600w tells me nothing. I need make and model. There is a huge difference between low and high quality psu’s and you don’t want to risk adding a new gpu if the psu should also be changed.

aDavid903

Commendable
Dec 28, 2016
A 1070 is a good choice for your monitor. Your RAM is fast enough and can run in dual channel mode but for that game to not have any stuttering you really wanted 16gb.

However 600w tells me nothing. I need make and model. There is a huge difference between low and high quality psu’s and you don’t want to risk adding a new gpu if the psu should also be changed.

So would you suggest upgrading to 16gb RAM as well? My PSU is the coolermaster b600 by the way.

Ok this is probably below average quality psu, especially if not the v2. However it’s not terrible, it could be a lot worse.

You could do the 1070 upgrade and then if you find you are disappointed with stuttering look to go 16gb. Just remember it is best to buy a match RAM kit (2x8gb) instead of adding another 2x4gb to your current RAM.

Solution