[SOLVED] 1070 makes a rattling noise at a certain fan speed

May 14, 2021
So I got a used GTX phoenix 1070 and I noticed that if i set the fan speed to 80 until 85 the fans start rattling. The strangest thing is that the fans stop rattling if I set the fan speed higher/lower. Is this something I should be concerned for? Everything else works just fine

Solution
The rattle could be caused by a number of things:
  1. the fan has worn from use and has a bit of play in it. This is non-adjustable. Allowing it to continue rattling at that speed may cause further wear.
  2. the shroud that covers the fan(s) may be slightly loose. Make sure all screws are snug.
  3. the fan is mounted loosely. You should be able to snug that down.
  4. a blade(s) on the fan may be damaged or bent. Make sure everything looks symetrical.
If you can't seem to correct it with any of those possibilities, you could just set a fan curve for the gpu that avoids that un-sweet spot..say goes to 70-75% up to a certain temp, then goes to 90% for any temperature higher than that
  1. the fan has worn from use and has a bit of play in it. This is non-adjustable. Allowing it to continue rattling at that speed may cause further wear.
  2. the shroud that covers the fan(s) may be slightly loose. Make sure all screws are snug.
  4. a blade(s) on the fan may be damaged or bent. Make sure everything looks symetrical.
If you can't seem to correct it with any of those possibilities, you could just set a fan curve for the gpu that avoids that un-sweet spot..say goes to 70-75% up to a certain temp, then goes to 90% for any temperature higher than that

Solution
May 14, 2021
welp leaving the fans on auto they rarely even reach 40% on full load so I'll probably never even hit 80%