[SOLVED] 1070 ti and i5 8600 which is bottlenecking?

Jul 25, 2021
Hi I was wondering what could be the bottleneck on my pc, I notice on a lot of games my cpu reached 80-100 percent usage and some my gpu reaches 100 percent usage. I want to upgrade so I can reach that 144hz range on ultra for games like call of duty vanguard, battle field 2042 and overwatch. Any advice on what part I should upgrade?
(I run background apps like discord simultaneously, but tend to close opera)

Cpu - i5 8600
Gpu- 1070 ti
Ram- 16gb ram ddr5
Psu- 850w power supply

1080p 144hz monitor (single)
Second monitor 1080p 60hz (single)

my detailed pc specs -
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/49519340

Last edited:
Solution
Prolly thinking about ReBar.

You have a 1070ti. That puts you right in between a 2060 and 2060Super which is very decent for most all 1080p/60Hz, but for more than a few graphically intensive games at high/max, you'll come up short of 144Hz.

You have an i5 8600. 6 core cpu with (now) mediocre IPC and clock speeds. Quite decent for 60Hz gaming, but anything cpu intensive can leave you well short of 144fps

Best bet would be a 12400, B660 DDR4 mobo, keep your ram and gpu until/unless pushed for an upgrade at a good price. Play your games, the cpu won't be a limiting factor in the vast majority, so the gpu is wide open to give all it can. Just realize that to get the fps, more than likely you'll be tailoring graphics settings per game...
Hi I was wondering what could be the bottleneck on my pc, I notice on a lot of games my cpu reached 80-90 percent usage and some my gpu reaches 100 percent usage. I want to upgrade so I can reach that 144hz range on ultra for games like call of duty vanguard, battle field 2042 and overwatch. Any advice on what part I should upgrade?

Cpu - i5 8600
Gpu- 1070 ti
Ram- 16gb ram ddr3
Psu- 850w power supply

Odd build with ddr3.
Run this and post a LINK to the results page.

PC Benchmark

logainofhades

Titan
Have you run DDU, to remove drivers, then reinstall the latest Nvidia drivers? Make/model of the PSU. Wattage tells us nothing, regarding build quality, which is far more important. For BF 2042, you are basically going to need a new CPU, motherboard, and GPU.

CuBcX7VZRf4jhuBitJtQHn.png

Hi I was wondering what could be the bottleneck on my pc, I notice on a lot of games my cpu reached 80-100 percent usage and some my gpu reaches 100 percent usage. I want to upgrade so I can reach that 144hz range on ultra for games like call of duty vanguard, battle field 2042 and overwatch. Any advice on what part I should upgrade?
(I run background apps like discord simultaneously, but tend to close opera)

Cpu - i5 8600
Gpu- 1070 ti
Ram- 16gb ram ddr5
Psu- 850w power supply

my detailed pc specs -
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/49519340
Nothing really bad shows.
Just to pick around the edges think about updating your bios/chipset/management engine/gpu driver.

Run UBM again but this time reboot and wait a few mins then run UBM with the browser closed and post a LINK.

Jul 25, 2021
Have you run DDU, to remove drivers, then reinstall the latest Nvidia drivers? Make/model of the PSU. Wattage tells us nothing, regarding build quality, which is far more important. For BF 2042, you are basically going to need a new CPU, motherboard, and GPU.

CuBcX7VZRf4jhuBitJtQHn.png
I used to have an amd graphics card and switched recently, would uninstalling the amd drivers improve performance?

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2021
Yes, you want to run DDU, to remove all graphics drivers, then install the latest, from Nvidia. It could help your performance some. Either way, for what you are wanting to play, you are going to need to beef up your system, quite a bit.
its weird because I have a friend who has a 1060 and a ryzen 7 3800x who runs battlefield 2042 ultra on 60fps, which in reality he should only get 30fps at max. he used some sort of thing to boost his vram with his usual motherboard ram. maybe its because that game is more cpu intensive

but thanks for the advice, seems ill just have to do a dual part upgrade if i wanna see improvment

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Prolly thinking about ReBar.

You have a 1070ti. That puts you right in between a 2060 and 2060Super which is very decent for most all 1080p/60Hz, but for more than a few graphically intensive games at high/max, you'll come up short of 144Hz.

You have an i5 8600. 6 core cpu with (now) mediocre IPC and clock speeds. Quite decent for 60Hz gaming, but anything cpu intensive can leave you well short of 144fps

Best bet would be a 12400, B660 DDR4 mobo, keep your ram and gpu until/unless pushed for an upgrade at a good price. Play your games, the cpu won't be a limiting factor in the vast majority, so the gpu is wide open to give all it can. Just realize that to get the fps, more than likely you'll be tailoring graphics settings per game, not just setting med/high/ultra etc.

Reactions: EvilGenius123
Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Normal idle % should be around 5% ish, maybe as high as 8% for some setups, so agree that 11% when running tests or games is going to impact the cpu. Disable stuff you don't use except occasionally, keep that as a manual start. Also check individual programs. If you look at the hidden items by your clock on lower right of the screen, you see what's active currently and decide what's not important or necessary. Then search that programs settings for the usual 'start me with windows' toggle.

Many times those programs will ignore foreground activity and do their own thing, like updates while you are gaming, Antivirus searches on every file accessed etc. Can make for a lot of usage periodically.