[SOLVED] 1070 Ti underperforming? And 3000Mhz ram running at 2400Mhz max

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZFGFade

Prominent
Sep 17, 2019
Recently I've been trying to get as much performance out of my pc as I can so I did a bunch of benchmarks to see what I needed to do and at first there was a lot of problems like the CPU performing below average the GPU performing way below average and my ram performing way below average but my storage was mostly fine. So I did as much as I could fixing my CPU problems (Now performing above average) and also trying to fix my ram, but I have no idea what to do about the GPU and I also have no idea why my ram which is rated 3000Mhz only goes up to 2400Mhz.

Benchmark

PC Specs :

CPU : Ryzen 7 2700x @ 4.1Ghz
With stock cooler

GPU : eVGA GeForce GTX1070Ti SC Black

Motherboard: ASUS TUF B450-PLUS Gaming

RAM : GeIL 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 SUPER LUCE RGB SYNC C16 3000Mhz

Storage 1 : Samsung 970 Evo 250GB M.2 NVMe SSD

Storage 2 : Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM008 3.5" 2TB

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G1+ 650W Fully Modular 80PLUS Gold

If I could get help that would be very great.

Solution
Those benchmarks look much better.

Remember to stress test with overclocking
With Occt, prime 95, aida64 realbench to confirm it is stable.
I didn't consider mine stable until i could pass all of those listed for 8hrs or more on each.

As far as ram recommendations it all boils down to your wallet and your preferences and best practice the Qvl lists, but i use G.skill.
I looked at the Qvls for the 2000 and 3000 series cpu in case you want to later put a 3000 series on.
The links to the ram kits are on both the 2000 and 3000 Qvl

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820231941?item=N82E16820231941

The flare x is what i run on my rig strix x470 f gaming...
I have the same gpu EVGA GTX1070Ti SC black edition too. I dont see anything wrong with the gpu performance given you run 2400mhz ram with Ryzen try to enable the XMP profile so it can go at 3000Mhz. Also the 93% average that usebenchmark say includes the more expensive cards or overclocked 1070ti cards or systems with better cpu.
This is my run with userbenchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/18556596 (no overclocks) but i believe its the cpu and 3133mhz ram that makes the difference.

ZFGFade

Prominent
Sep 17, 2019
I think there's a slight misconception on the RAM. According to AMD's page the supported RAM clockspeed is 2933MHz: https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-7-2700x
The motherboard suggests 2666MHz: https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/TUF-B450-PLUS-GAMING/specifications/

Both of the above are stock speeds, and in either case 3000MHz would technically be an overclock. It's a simple overclock in the form of using XMP profiles which should be available to choose in the BIOS.
I've already tested it with and without the XMP profile. currently, I have the XMP profile enabled and the speed set to 2400Mhz because if I put it above 2400Mhz my pc restarts 3 times and goes into the red American thing (Idk wtf it is because I always just press f1 and continue to the bios) after I press f1 and go back into the bios I see that the memory clock on the right is at 2133Mhz.

ZFGFade

Prominent
Sep 17, 2019
I have the same gpu EVGA GTX1070Ti SC black edition too. I dont see anything wrong with the gpu performance given you run 2400mhz ram with Ryzen try to enable the XMP profile so it can go at 3000Mhz. Also the 93% average that usebenchmark say includes the more expensive cards or overclocked 1070ti cards or systems with better cpu.
This is my run with userbenchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/18556596 (no overclocks) but i believe its the cpu and 3133mhz ram that makes the difference.

Yeah maybe.
Thanks

well i have 1070ti aswell https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/14185108
dx10 performance u have fine (2.1GHz overclock is okay)
dx9 is weak, should be driver related, try reset global 3d settings in nvidia control panel
or try different drivers

btw if u dont play dx9 games (old games), u dont need to worry about low dx9 performance, those games usualy run in hundreds of fps

btw2 todays games usualy run in dx11/12 or rarely on vulcan
so maybe try different gpu benchmark like 3dmark?

Last edited:

ZFGFade

Prominent
Sep 17, 2019
dx9 is weak, should be driver related, try reset global 3d settings in nvidia control panel
or try different drivers

btw if u dont play dx9 games (old games), u dont need to worry about low dx9 performance, those games usualy run in hundreds of fps

kk thanks
I saw you had an older version of the Nvidia driver and a lot of people are saying the new one is <Mod Edit> so it might have something to do with that

ill try 3d mark

I tried it on my old setup (some i5 and a gt730) I got like 5 fps xD

Last edited by a moderator:

ZFGFade

Prominent
Sep 17, 2019
or try different drivers

This is the result I got after running time spy
Results

Since july i have found it harder to use user benchmark any more with the way it scores components now.
How can you have a better user average component score but still be underperforming and or have a low percentile ranking.

Anymore if i run stock no oc on the gpu during userbenchmark my score is underperforming
If i use my firestorm or msi afterburner ocing the gpu its good and above average.
I also have a 1070 ti it's a zotac amp edition.

I have a asus rog strix x470 f gaming on the 5204 bios running a 2600x
With G.skill flare x 3200 cl14 b-dies
which is underperforming from what it was getting on the 4602 bios.
The difference has been in the boost frequencies and the ram.
4602 bios ram was @3400 fast with ryz drm calculator
5204 bios i can't get the ram to run over 3200 fast without errors.
So if you have updated to the latest bios for the tuf you may have some of the same issues.

In june or july userbench changed the way it scores systems and here is a link to that.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/userbenchmark-benchmark-change-criticism-amd-intel,40032.html

So since the scoring change i haven't trusted userbenchmark as a definitive benchmark.
Good Luck

ZFGFade

Prominent
Sep 17, 2019
Since july i have found it harder to use user benchmark any more with the way it scores components now.
How can you have a better user average component score but still be underperforming and or have a low percentile ranking.

Anymore if i run stock no oc on the gpu during userbenchmark my score is underperforming
If i use my firestorm or msi afterburner ocing the gpu its good and above average.
I also have a 1070 ti it's a zotac amp edition.

I have a asus rog strix x470 f gaming on the 5204 bios running a 2600x
With G.skill flare x 3200 cl14 b-dies
which is underperforming from what it was getting on the 4602 bios.
The difference has been in the boost frequencies and the ram.
4602 bios ram was @3400 fast with ryz drm calculator
5204 bios i can't get the ram to run over 3200 fast without errors.
So if you have updated to the latest bios for the tuf you may have some of the same issues.

In june or july userbench changed the way it scores systems and here is a link to that.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/userbenchmark-benchmark-change-criticism-amd-intel,40032.html

So since the scoring change i haven't trusted userbenchmark as a definitive benchmark.
Good Luck

Thanks a lot for the info and I do have the bios updated to the latest version (I updated it right before I did the testing and created this forum)

Should I downgrade? Or what should I do?

I will link to my bios update adventure.
I decided to do a formal oc.
The following link is long but i did end up with a stable oc, but my ram will not run without throughing errors over 3200 fast using ryzen dram calculator.

ZFGFade

Prominent
Sep 17, 2019
I will link to my bios update adventure.
I decided to do a formal oc.
The following link is long but i did end up with a stable oc, but my ram will not run without throughing errors over 3200 fast using ryzen dram calculator.

Thanks

I don't really know that much about how computers work completely cus I'm only 13, I have school and <Mod Edit> to deal with so ill look through your forum when I have the time probably this afternoon

Reactions: Crosslhs82x2

ZFGFade

Prominent
Sep 17, 2019
Update:
I've tried some stuff in the bios, just changing around the voltages and the clock speeds. But Icouldn't find anything that could help with my ram Mhz issue but everything else is running fine now. For the GPU problem im pretty sure it was a driver problem so I reinstalled to a newer version and now there is a performance boost by about 10-25%

ZFGFade

Prominent
Sep 17, 2019
Great glad to hear!!!!

I'm still trying to get the most out of my CPU so I went and figured out what LLC and the VDDCR things are. right now I'm doing testing to see if I can get a higher and more stable OC.

I did another Benchmark and the GPU is, in fact, fine now but the CPU is kinda Removed because I'm new to CPU overclocking and idk wtf im doing.

I'll update the thread if I can get stuff to work.

It takes time and patience to oc.
Once i figued out that having my corsair running in the background and hwinfo64 running while stress testing with p95 or Occt
was causing my screen outs i started making headway on my oc.

So from looking at your benchmark
You had something running in the background.
That can be things like hwinfo64, ai suite iii,
So disable anything in task manager startup that you can if you dont need it.

Turn off or disable xfr which should be disabled when the core frequency was changed and pbo in ai tweaker tab.
Once you get stable you can try pbo through the various scalers to see if it makes a difference. I settled on x7 scaler.

Keep in mind you are using the stock cooler
Which will have a overall affect on your temps versus ghz clock.

Don't pay to much attention to userbench scores in regards to whether its a destroyer or ufo but pay attention to your
Cpu, drives and ram user average versus what you have from making your changes to see if its getting better.

Seeing how your ram is rated for 3000 but can only ran @2400 that can and will have a impact on your perfomance.
Is your ram on the qvl = qualified vendors list.?
And have you checked with asus as to the reason or get help with getting it to the 3200?
Have you gone into ai tweaker and manually set your timings for the 3200?
Until you can get the ram issue straightened out you may not be happy with the oc adventure.

If you can please use this link
View: https://imgur.com/upload

and post some
pics of your ram(the sticker on the side of your ram)
and your ai tweaker bios dram timing control settings.

Reactions: ZFGFade
Status
Not open for further replies.