[SOLVED] 1070 upgrade choice

sitkces

Honorable
Nov 16, 2014
I was wondering if i should wait for the 3060 ti or just get a used 2070/s? Also will a 520w m12ii handle that lol i have a 2600 as a CPU btw

Solution
I was wondering if i should wait for the 3060 ti or just get a used 2070/s? Also will a 520w m12ii handle that lol i have a 2600 as a CPU btw
  1. Ampere GPUs have gained a reputation for their power usage spikes that can cause issues with cheaper/lower wattage PSUs. Get a good quality PSU, like a Corsair TX/RM 650, although a 750 watt model would be even better should you choose to upgrade to a GPU with high power consumption requirements in a few years. It's better to buy a good power supply once that lasts a while vs. two power supplies because you cheaped-out on the first one and had to upgrade a second time a few years later.
  2. Seeing as how the RTX 3060 Ti is more powerful than a RTX 2080 Super, I'd say its...

sitkces

Honorable
Nov 16, 2014
LOL no change that PSU whatever you get out of those three. Unless your GPU is completely dead just wait for 3060 Ti supply to replenish

Okay. Maybe at least 650w will work? Or better go with 750? I was think Focus GX series or are there better brands around the same price range? I was also looking into the CM MWE v2 750w full mod.

1. Ampere GPUs have gained a reputation for their power usage spikes that can cause issues with cheaper/lower wattage PSUs. Get a good quality PSU, like a Corsair TX/RM 650, although a 750 watt model would be even better should you choose to upgrade to a GPU with high power consumption requirements in a few years. It's better to buy a good power supply once that lasts a while vs. two power supplies because you cheaped-out on the first one and had to upgrade a second time a few years later.
  2. Seeing as how the RTX 3060 Ti is more powerful than a RTX 2080 Super, I'd say its definitely worth it to wait for it to come back in stock instead of settling for a less-performant RTX 2070 Super.
  3. Your CPU is quite old and very underpowered for both a RTX 3060 Ti or a RTX 2070 Super. Unless you want to be posting on here in a few weeks/months asking "I bought a RTX 3060 Ti and I'm getting way lower fps than I'm seeing on benchmarks on YouTube, why???", you should definitely upgrade to a modern 6 core/12 thread CPU at a minimum.

Solution
Your CPU is quite old and very underpowered for both a RTX 3060 Ti or a RTX 2070 Super. Unless you want to be posting on here in a few weeks/months asking "I bought a RTX 3060 Ti and I'm getting way lower fps than I'm seeing on benchmarks on YouTube, why???", you should definitely upgrade to a modern 6 core/12 thread CPU at a minimum.
Their CPU is a relatively modern 6-core, 12-thread model. They have a Ryzen 2600. Perhaps you are thinking of an i7-2600 from 2011? The Ryzen 2600 might not offer quite the same level of gaming performance as the newer 12-thread models from AMD or Intel, but it should be reasonably capable, particularly if they are targeting higher resolutions than 1080p, where they will be graphics limited most of the time in many newer games.

Reactions: sitkces
Their CPU is a relatively modern 6-core, 12-thread model. They have a Ryzen 2600. Perhaps you are thinking of an i7-2600 from 2011? The Ryzen 2600 might not offer quite the same level of gaming performance as the newer 12-thread models from AMD or Intel, but it should be reasonably capable, particularly if they are targeting higher resolutions than 1080p, where they will be graphics limited most of the time in many newer games.

Oops, you're right, I didn't see the signature, I was thinking of an Intel i7-2600 lol.

Nevermind

sitkces

Honorable
Nov 16, 2014
  2. Seeing as how the RTX 3060 Ti is more powerful than a RTX 2080 Super, I'd say its definitely worth it to wait for it to come back in stock instead of settling for a less-performant RTX 2070 Super.
  3. Your CPU is quite old and very underpowered for both a RTX 3060 Ti or a RTX 2070 Super. Unless you want to be posting on here in a few weeks/months asking "I bought a RTX 3060 Ti and I'm getting way lower fps than I'm seeing on benchmarks on YouTube, why???", you should definitely upgrade to a modern 6 core/12 thread CPU at a minimum.

Okay thanks for these points. I might probably wait for the 3000 series then. Thank you!

Reactions: Prad_Bitt